ProtestSongs (banner image missing)

Anarchist Heart
©1991, 2007 Ted Johnson
Ted: Acoustic Guitar, Bass, Micro BR Drums
A man I never met is killing people I don't hate
With weapons that I paid for, but I don't have a receipt
Or I would take 'em all back to the Department of Complaints and say,
I need a refund; this is a mistake.

But my anarchist heart tells me this is your fault.
They sent you a bill. You gave them everything they asked for.
You filled out the form and said, Leave me alone.
When you should have said, Leave me in peace.

I licked the stamp like it was a boot.
Mailed off a check to an address in Utah.
I watch the war.  I taste the mucilage
Sticking to my tongue like a cold bomber fuselage.

And my anarchist heart... (etc.)

I protest.  I complain.
I e-mail cartoons to friends who feel the same.
I can shake my head, but not the blame.
I can shake my fist, but it's not the same.

And I make a peace sign and there's blood on my hands.
I'm out of step with all these marching bands
Banging on a bass drum like Khrushchev's shoe

When my heart beats a rhythm that you can't march to. (4X)

And my anarchist heart... (etc.)

I recorded this more than a year ago, when I was first learning my way around the MBR--but hadn't yet been pulled into this forum.

I thought I'd post it now as an aside to the discussion of Hopes (V1, V2).

It's still one of my more successful home recordings.  There's a little more information about the song here.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Satchwood

"i need a refund...this is a mistake....fill out the flippin form"
....great lyrics!

Cool tune Ted!  sometimes i feel like protesting....bangin on a bass drum...my heart beats a rhythm...

i can relate...thx 4 putting it in words!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Oldrottenhead

wow ted one minute we get the madness and frivolity of dechromium cob (which is getting played to death alongside some geirs songs in the car cd player) and now a very serious heartfelt challenging piece , powerful powerful stuff i need to put this on my mp3 player now
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ted

Quote from: oldrottenhead on May 16, 2009, 02:27:20 AMwow ted one minute we get the madness and frivolity of dechromium cob... and now a very serious heartfelt challenging piece , powerful powerful stuff i need to put this on my mp3 player now

QuoteDo not assume that because I am frivolous I am shallow; just as I do not assume that because you are grave you are profound.
--Sydney Smith

I doubt you've ever been accused of being grave, ORH.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

launched

It reminds me of all the people I stood behind for almost a decade, only to be let down in the end... :-[

You put it to words and music beautifully - Strong Reminder - Excellent Tune!!

Peace,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI doubt you've ever been accused of being grave, ORH.
i am as deep as a puddle lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Full on truth and meaning.  This one strikes a deep chord with me.  Very good job.  I love your excellent production.  Great, great lyrics.  Cool, clear, smooth strong vocals.  Can I ask how you recorded the vocals, they sound really good here, I am looking for all the tips I can get on recording vocals.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Good one Ted. A strong song with heartfelt lyrics. I like your vox on this, the harmonies are good. I also like the drums a lot - are they all MBR? If so, you're quite a wiz with the drums.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bro

That riff in the intro and verse is EXTREMELY catchy!

Ah.. great! I love looking back on elder recordings, really makes you understand your progress! Great job ted!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Ted

Quote from: Bluesberry on May 16, 2009, 11:17:19 AMCan I ask how you recorded the vocals, they sound really good here, I am looking for all the tips I can get on recording vocals.

I think I was having a rare good-vocal day when I did this.  I used my Samson C03 microphone through my JoeMeek 3Q (EQ/Compressor/Premp).  However, I second-guess myself about whether this gear was necessary,  having now heard the great vocal recordings achieved with the MBR's built-in microphone.

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on May 16, 2009, 11:25:50 AMI also like the drums a lot - are they all MBR? If so, you're quite a wiz with the drums.

Yes, those are all MBR drums.  It's the Jazz kit.  I don't remember using any of my crazy drum workarounds for this arrangement.  I just auditioned lots of patterns, sometimes at half the tempo of the song, until I found something that works, even if it wasn't what I was hearing in my head--and sometimes it was better than what I would have programmed if I had the option.  The drums in the chorus during "...everything they asked for" were intended to be accents in unison with guitar and bass.  But since that pattern didn't exist, I was forced to find something else--and I think it's much cooler than what I had in mind.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac