P 90 soap bars

Started by The Reverend 48, May 14, 2009, 08:19:18 AM

AndyR

That's a cute looking goldtop there 48  :)

I've never used soapbars, but I do have humbucker sized p90 types in a Gibson Explorer (they're called Mississippi Queens, from Bare Knuckle Pickups, they'll go in as a direct replacement for any standard size humbucker).

The guitar has had several sets of pickups in it (including the original high power Gibson ceramics), but it's really turned into an organic blues/rock machine with the MQs in it.

I'm a Fender-man at heart really, so humbuckers can be a bit hit-and-miss for me, but p90 types seem to give me the essence of "Gibson" sounds but with the advantages of single-coils.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

guitarron

Goldtops are cool for sure
I have a 76 deluxe-mini humbckers-the neck is maple with rosewood
makes for a little brighter paul sound

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Quote from: 48 on May 17, 2009, 02:12:29 AMI have just bought this via ebay (I have had to sell a couple of guitars to justify it! ;D)
I'm looking forward to hearing the soap bars! ;)

Lovely! It's very much like my Epiphone '56 Gold Top. Is it the same?! Looks golder in the pic than mine. Hope you have fun with it. I love mine so much I've worn a couple of the frets down over the past few years. It needs a good re-dress and service.

The Reverend 48

I can't wait for delivery its a "Vintage" with wilkinson pups...I have some Wilkinson vintage wound single coils in my $50 strat and I rate them better than Fenders...So lets hope he is as good at soap bars.......Paid £120 on ebay :)

Check out V100GT 8)
http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Ojimi my collection keeps changing round my two keepers a '89 Fender Strat plus and a Gibson Les Paul Standard...I find if you buy wisely on Ebay you can get your money back or even make a profit...I have bought and sold 13 guitars and am about £250 up so far..Its a great cheap hobby ;)...I just love new guitars!

Greeny

Quote from: 48 on May 19, 2009, 07:17:18 AMI can't wait for delivery its a "Vintage" with wilkinson pups...I have some Wilkinson vintage wound single coils in my $50 strat and I rate them better than Fenders...So lets hope he is as good at soap bars.......Paid £120 on ebay :)

Check out V100GT 8)

Ojimi my collection keeps changing round my two keepers a '89 Fender Strat plus and a Gibson Les Paul Standard...I find if you buy wisely on Ebay you can get your money back or even make a profit...I have bought and sold 13 guitars and am about £250 up so far..Its a great cheap hobby ;)...I just love new guitars!

From what I hear (and read), anything Trev Wilkinson gets involved with is 'quality', and punching above it's weight price-wise. Sounds like a good purchase!

3guitarsEddy

If anyone wants to buy P-90's then I suggest you take a look at lollar guitars web site. loads of em on there.

Regards

Eddy

godinqc

Hey "48", very nice aquisition, now I want a new guitar ..  ;D

As Bluesberry mentionned some of the Godins have P90s, that's what I have in my Godin LG , they sound very good .. but a P90/Humbucker combo would also be nice

Cheers.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

The Reverend 48

The guitar has arrived.......First of all the quality is awesome for a guitar at any price..the finish is every bit as good as my Gibson Les Paul the MOP inlay in the headstock is gorgeous. Also it's really heavy but I play seated so that's OK.....

It arrived badly packed..thank god there was no damage and it was filthy..it looked like somebody had been sick on it so I spent all day stripping and cleaning it (which incidentally I thoroughly enjoyed).

Underneath the filth it is perfect not a scratch anywhere. I put some ultra slinky's on (8's) which I had never used but were recommended by Witchita set the action which is now snake belly low and plugged in....... :o.

I wasn't prepared for what came out...I'm amazed tonally the soapbars seem to have the brightness of good single coils with the thickness of a humbucker........

I have rattled a couple of blues licks out and it seems to be begging for some Peter Green Style Major Blues..... 8)

This could become my Blues guitar of choice! 8)

I would urge anybody buying on a budget to look at Vintage Guitars 8)

Bluesberry

Damn you  Mike, major GAS attack comming on.  I can't wait to hear this beauty.  Just what I need, another guitar, I want it, I want it, I want it...I need it, I need it, I need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

Come on Mike !!! give us a taste of that blues machine !!! 8) .. Don't keep us waiting !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........