P 90 soap bars

Started by The Reverend 48, May 14, 2009, 08:19:18 AM

The Reverend 48

In my quest for tonal variety (OK I just like buying guitars :D) I have never played on P90's do they sound like single coils or have they a totally different character?

Anybody out there use em?.......

Greeny

Quote from: 48 on May 14, 2009, 08:19:18 AMIn my quest for tonal variety (OK I just like buying guitars :D) I have never played on P90's do they sound like single coils or have they a totally different character?

I have two P-90 soapbars on my '56 Gold Top. They are the holy grail of pick-ups for me. I love my telecaster and hofner for different reasons, but I play a lot of lead with the Gold Top, and the tone is just great. They have a great vintage aggressive-but-creamy sound to my ears. It might be an acquired taste though. Either way, I'd buy another guitar equipped with them like a shot.

guitarron

Quote from: 48 on May 14, 2009, 08:19:18 AMIn my quest for tonal variety (OK I just like buying guitars :D) I have never played on P90's do they sound like single coils or have they a totally different character?

hot single coil-it's not quacky like strat p-ups
they do sound great

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Epiphone are just releasing a 1962 Wilshire Re-Issue which has twin P90 soapbars. I want one, but £2000...  ??? :o

http://www.dv247.com/invt/61735/

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Greeny on May 14, 2009, 09:41:56 AM

I have two P-90 soapbars on my '56 Gold Top. They are the holy grail of pick-ups for me.

Tim which of your songs shows the gold top best.....?
Its a '56 Gold top I fancy..I can't afford the real thing but am lookin at either Epi or Vintage...Is yours a Gibson?........

Bluesberry

Hey Mike, Godin has a beautiful P90 guitar.  It is just superb from what I understand.
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgp.htm

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

hewhoiscalledj

Hmm, i had considered dropping a P90 in my Epi Dot (335clone) to give it a "raunchier" rock sound but would like to hear it first hand. It would be great if someone here had a similar set up so we can hear it. As it is, I love playing mild distortion (not overdrive) with the current Seymour Duncan humbuckers.

Sadly, the Dot doesnt get as much playing time as my Les Paul and SG but I love playing it for my jazz rock experiments and cuz it looks so cool when I'm just strumming away like a big band alley cat. I just wish it was a little smaller (or not as wide you know?)

guitarron

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on May 15, 2009, 08:36:40 AMHmm, i had considered dropping a P90 in my Epi Dot (335clone) to give it a "raunchier" rock sound but would like to hear it first hand. It would be great if someone here had a similar set up so we can hear it. As it is, I love playing mild distortion (not overdrive) with the current Seymour Duncan humbuckers.

Sadly, the Dot doesnt get as much playing time as my Les Paul and SG but I love playing it for my jazz rock experiments and cuz it looks so cool when I'm just strumming away like a big band alley cat. I just wish it was a little smaller (or not as wide you know?)
I love duncans -

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

I have just bought this via ebay (I have had to sell a couple of guitars to justify it! ;D)
I'm looking forward to hearing the soap bars! ;)

Bro

Quote from: 48 on May 17, 2009, 02:12:29 AMI have just bought this via ebay (I have had to sell a couple of guitars to justify it! ;D)
I'm looking forward to hearing the soap bars! ;)

Say 48? Is that a epiphone? BTW can i hear your guitar collection? It sounds like you have a few? :)
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.