Any Lap Steel Players here?

Started by Greeny, May 14, 2009, 06:31:45 AM

Greeny

I'm thinking about getting one of these - the Artisan brand ones are only around £70 - £80, so seem quite good value as an entry model. Does anyone know about these things, and if being able to play guitar is any help (or do you have to learn an entirely new way of playing???).

Bluesberry

That looks really cool.  From what I understand you tune these to an open tuning like open E or open G, pick some strings, move that slide around, and you will be making beautiful sounds (get a volume pedal).  With your musical instincts and great ear you will be making beautiful music with this thing in no time Tim.  GAS attack coming on, must stop looking at the picture, I can't wait to hear this in one of your next songs, it would go so wonderfull with some of your music.  Go get it!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

Quote from: Bluesberry on May 14, 2009, 06:39:40 AMGAS attack coming on, must stop looking at the picture, I can't wait to hear this in one of your next songs, it would go so wonderfull with some of your music.  Go get it!

lol
i was thinking the same thing
lap steel is fun and relatively cheap-go for it

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

launched

I have one of those - I bought it, like you said, because it was short money. I can't figure those things out and will probably not touch it again for a long time, but I can give you my impression in a hands-on sense:

What I liked:

It's of good quality - quiet and clean producing tone, with good pots and input jack. The tuning machines work good and don't stick.
Mine's black, so the chrome plate looks pretty cool! ;D
It has adjustable legs if you want to stand, and comes with a chrome slide bar and travel bag.

What I didn't:

The input jack is on the top and in a spot where it got in the way - an "L" adapter might solve this problem. Make sure you get one of those if you buy it.

If you do pull the trigger, I think you would like this one - It also sounds great with an overdrive/distortion pedal. And don't forget to hook a volume pedal up, too!

What's GAS, anyway?

See you around,

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

Quote from: guitarron on May 14, 2009, 11:56:01 AMgas
gear aquisition syndrome

I can't seem to decide on (a) a lap steel guitar, (b) a Kaossilator, or (c) surviving the recession.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Bro

I'd buy it! After hearing about your recording methods i think it would be fear to spend some money :D
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Jonesy

I say go for it!  Lap steel sounds beautiful and can give a really great country twang.  I think Nels Cline from WIlco uses it to great effect.  It seems to be that less is definitely more with lap steel, it's just feel which is how it should be ;)

Jonesy
"If love is the light, shine a little light down on me..."

Wiley

Would be fun to hear your talents at work with this.