Need help from you guys!

Started by Snuke, April 03, 2018, 02:25:59 PM

I'm a new guy and I've just found out about this great forum - so hi everyone! I hope there are some Boss digital recorder owners out there who are willing to help! I've purchased a second hand BR1600 and the manual is not too easy to follow. I wondered if anyone can let me know how to record a song onto the recorder (from my PC & youtube), so I can then burn it to the CD facility. from Youtube (via myPC). Thanks guys!

bruno

The BR1600 is a great machine - but it takes a while to get to know it. Thinking back to when I started on it, it seem almighty complex, but when you get to know it, its very consistent - so you have to get over the initial hurdle.

What you are asking is very wide, so suggest that you experiment with it, and then ask more specific questions when you hit a snag. You will find songcrafters a very friendly site who will answer a specific question quickly. So, start at the beginning and tell us when you get stuck :-) and we'll help you through that step.

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Bruno, yeah the manual seems daunting!!! It's encouraging to hear you have achieved success with the same great machine and many thanks for your encouragement, I will persevere with it slowly and see if I can make it do what I want!

I will spend some time then (a lot!) getting to know it first and if needed will post specific questions as you suggest..

It's great to know that there are friendly songcrafters available on here if I need further help. Cheers :-)

Oldrottenhead

This guy has a lot of videos teaching the basics of the br1600 https://youtu.be/q2w7ycCmrrU hopefully they may be of some help to you.

Myself I have used a multitude of multi track recorders, unfortunately not the br1600, but of the boss recorders I have used I have found them to be very intuitive to use, my microbr I can use practically with my eyes shut, my br800 I am still on a learning curve but able to get it to do what I need it to do without much effort or learning. So I expect the br1600 should be the same.

Hope you find your way around it and as Bruno has said there should be folk here able to answer most question.

Welcome aboard and have fun with your new gear.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

banjaxed

Like you I had a problem when I got my BR900CD but with a lot of perseverance and a lot of help from
the very knowledgeable and friendly guys an this site I became reasonably familiar with it. Just try to
be patient and you will get there.

Hook

I don't have a 1600 but here is what I would do. I would get a cord that ran 1/8 inch to stereo 1/4 inch. Plug the small end into computer and put the stereo into channels 1 & 2. Record and when you mix it make sure to pan the tracks hard right & left.Mastering shouldnt be required.
Good luck.
rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

T.C. Elliott

I don't have a 1600 (although i did for a short while) so I don't have the specific instructions. However, there are two main ways to get audio into your recorder. Import a WAV file or record. So if you rip audio from a youtube video or other source (and convert it if necessary) you then can import it. Or you can plug in the audio from a headphone jack into an input and record it as it plays. The quality might be a hair lower that way as you'll be rerecording the source, but it'll hold up for most uses.

If you're wanting to learn how to use it perhaps a DVD instructional guide could be a good start. I know it helped when I learned the BR-900.
http://proaudiodvds.com/store/multitrack-recorders/roland-boss-br-1600-dvd-tutorial/

Or maybe some youtube videos *could* help?

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+use+a+br+1600+video&oq=how+to+use+a+br+1600+video&aqs=chrome..69i57.3157j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London