Music Computer bit the bullet

Started by T.C. Elliott, April 02, 2018, 03:54:21 PM

T.C. Elliott

It went kaput. Hard Drive is toast. Debating on replacing it or buying a new computer. I've all my music saved, but not all the programs and what not. Just today reset the pw as I've lost them all... well, I couldn't remember the one to here so....

PSA: Backup everything. Do it now. You may regret it if you don't.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Oldrottenhead

Sorry to hear that TC, i back up everything to dvd and external hard drives. i recently lost/misplaced an external HD with loads on it but luckily all my music stuff was also backed up to DVDs.

as for my PC i recently moved from windows 10 to Linux mint 18.3, after one too many viruses and updates that screwed with my hardware.

i hope to get a few more years out of my pc as a result, wish i had swapped over a long time ago.

oh and by the way my pc is not that old, too old for windows tho.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

TPB

I feel you some of us dumb one,s had this happen twice and trying to find codes ect and all the updates meant I lost some programs I went to a RAD system this is two back up's  so even if the main computer fail or one of the backup drives I still have everything. Good luck with the new Pc
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Mike_S

i recommend regular back ups. i have an imac and bought a tiny wd external hard drive (1tb I think). all i had to do was plug it in the back of the computer and it backs up the whole computer every hour in the background. it cost about 80e i think. peace of mind for under 100e is worth it i think
recorder
iPad GarageBand

bruno

Sorry to hear about your machine - that is a bummer!

Quote from: Mike_S on April 03, 2018, 02:21:13 PMi recommend regular back ups. i have an imac and bought a tiny wd external hard drive (1tb I think). all i had to do was plug it in the back of the computer and it backs up the whole computer every hour in the background. it cost about 80e i think. peace of mind for under 100e is worth it i think

Agree with that - backup on the mac is second to none - I think that TimeMachine is a brilliantly well thought out part of OS X

recorder
Boss BR-1600

TPB

HAving a Portable hard drive to save files will save your Music files but you also need to do a Mirror image of your computer to capture the programs, otherwise when your computer dies you will have the working files MP3 Waves ECT, but not the programs and will have to reload everything and get all the updates back in. I do a mirror every year and have two portable hard drives one keeps a snap shot and backs files and the other one is the drive I actually work off of. This keeps my computer clean with lots of memory and hard drive to do the recording.  No internet on my studio computer I do not have the crap getting on it hook it up once in a whil for updates and that is it.
Once I went to this system My computers go forever and I do not worry about viruses virus programs slowing  recordings and the other stuff that kills computers Cost was $160.00 for two terabyte portable drives. Before I did this I crashed twice and had to reload everything Now my computer dies I format the new computer  with the mirror image and I am back up and running
Sorry for the long post Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

T.C. Elliott

Thanks guys. I'm debating on a new desk top or repairing the laptop. It's a good lap top that has served me well these past 3 years or more. Money is a bit of an issue, but in about two weeks I should have enough for either.

I've got that 1tb stand alone HD for the music backup. I'm debating on one of those online auto backup services. I've not explored the pros and cons yet.  There are only a few programs that I"ll miss if I cant get them backed up. Superior Drummer/EZDrummer/packs etc., and maybe one or two others. We'll see if I actually lost them or not. (I think the harddrive is recoverable, but the OS is buggy.)

I did have a recording project or two I was starting on that I've now put on hold. But, to be honest, this is the first real break I've had from writing/recording music in a long while and I'm kind of enjoying it.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London