"If I Walked with the Dead" by The Stan Laurels

Started by Bosko Schwartz, May 13, 2009, 04:26:21 PM

Saijinn Maas

This was really good. The changes you made were good and make it work well. I concur regarding the bass. I listened to original version and that bass was perfect, I think it may have a gotten a bit lost with these changes. Bring the bass back up a bit and call it done!

Great job!

Ted

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on May 19, 2009, 02:55:01 PMI guess everyone's sick of messing with this tune, so I'm on my own trying to get this mix right.  Fair enough, I understand.  I am my own worst critic, and I am well aware of this affliction. :(

I didn't hear this the first go around, and I still haven't heard the original version.  So I'm not sick of it.

Sometimes I need to get away from a song for awhile.  And when I listen to it a week or month later, all of the "flaws" I was obsessing over turn out not to be worth the stress and obsessing.

If I was your producer, the tweak I'd ask for is more fire in the chorus vocals--a harmony part would do the trick.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

64Guitars

Quote from: Ted on May 19, 2009, 04:33:11 PMSometimes I need to get away from a song for awhile.  And when I listen to it a week or month later, all of the "flaws" I was obsessing over turn out not to be worth the stress and obsessing.

I sometimes find that the things I'd perceived as flaws on first playback of my recordings have become my favourite parts of the song after many listens. Often my initial disappointment with my work is not so much because it's bad, but because it's not what I'd intended. But when I listen to it many times, I forget what I'd intended and can appreciate it for what it is.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Pedro

The song is great like this. Very catchy!

Bosko Schwartz

Wow, what an overwhelming response in such a short period of time!  Too much! ;D

I am beginning to notice that it's really hard to get a true consensus view, as everyone listens with different ears.

What I do know is that I am damned close with this mix, and it just needs a couple more tweaks.  I do get a bit obsessive sometimes, so I apologize now and in advance for the anal nature of my posts and quest for perfection.  My problem is that I want to have the production quality of The Beatles, yet I am so far removed in talent, knowledge, equipment, and experience to even come close.

I will say that all of your kind words of encouragement and praise have really helped me see that perhaps I am a better producer than I thought I was.  And apparently, a much better songwriter than I thought I was!

I am very interested to start listening to everyone else's work, and I promise I will do that more when time permits.  This damned day-job is really getting in the way of my passion (don't you hate that?!), so forgive me for not having posted many comments yet.  Plus, there are so many posts and I just got here, so I barely know where to start.  But I will catch up eventually.

So I am going to raise the bass (and the drums a tad, actually) and mess with the lead guitar melody line at the end and hopefully call this one done soon.  Geir, I may have to keep the guitar panned to the right, because otherwise you can't seem to hear the organ which is panned left.  But I will mess with it.  Ted, there actually is harmony on the chorus vocals already; it's just hard to hear.  I've accidentally erased the original harmony track and I'm left with just the mixed vocal track, and I don't have the patience to record it over again!  Listen closely and you'll hear it.

Thanks again for all of your time, insight, and kindness. :)
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Rockatron

Hi!
First, this is a great song and the rythm is great too.  I was listening to it while typing along at work and it seemed to float well in my ears and soothing indeed. This is great work which I hope one day to be able to do myself.
Cheers!  Keep the good work!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

"Play, just play..."

Bro

Sweet, great job on the vox!

Love it, i really enjoyed the guitar effects!!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Bosko Schwartz

Thanks, Rockatron and 0jimi0!

New re-mix on the way -- I think I may have finally nailed this mofo ...

Bosko Schwartz

If I Walked with the Dead - FINAL
Time:
0:00
Volume:
OK, all, for the benefit of your mental well-being, this will be the last time I post this song.

I raised the bass back up so it's nice and fat again, and hopefully the vox are now at a decent level (I feel they are loud enough to be a focal point of the song, but not overbearing); I also panned the lead guitar near the end closer to the center.  I think everything is about as balanced as I can get it.  Lastly, I made the entire mix a tad bit brighter.  My goal is always to hear every individual sound as clearly as possible.  I am hoping this mix is THE ONE so I can close this case and move on!  Then I will post the next tune and bug the hell out of everyone once again with my anal and obsessive ways.

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.