"If I Walked with the Dead" by The Stan Laurels

Started by Bosko Schwartz, May 13, 2009, 04:26:21 PM

Bosko Schwartz

If I Walked with the Dead, v.2
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's the song I've been working that had actually been done for over a year, but I recently tweaked it with some additions that hopefully make it a little more dynamic.

Serious and honest feedback is welcome and encouraged!  I'm not doing this to massage my ego -- I really want to get the mix right, so please let me know if I'm on the right track here.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to listen! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Kody

Sounds good enough to me, Bosko....Very impressive~ I can hear The Beatles influence.....I seriously tried to come up with some really critical feedback, but I can't think of anything...I really like this song!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Satchwood

Cool tune - I love the tempo change and keyboard climbs!  I enjoyed listening bosko, thanks for sharing!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Blooby

The short version is this is a very nicely constructed tune.  I'm especially enamored of how nicely the bass sits in the mix (something I can't come to grips with right now on my own).

Since you are asking for constructive criticism, when the tune shifts to the keyboard-heavy eighth notes, the vocals get a tad buried.  I also find the vocal treatment/reverb out of step with the rest of the mix.  The vocal effects have a haunting quality that I just don't hear elsewhere.  

I know the latter point is merely the way I hear it, and others will disagree.  Mostly, I think it's a great, jaunty tune with a nice Beatles influence, especially in several of the vocal melody lines (unless I hear that incorrectly).

I look forward to future posts from you.  I say that not only because I enjoyed your tune but also because we're the only two blokes posting music in the BR-1600 section.

Peace.

Blooby

Bluesberry

This is a really good song.  What positive comments can I say about this great song.  Perhaps I would have the guitar line in the chorus (the end part) a bit more prominent (or even a guitar solo, hahaha, I put guitar solos in all my songs).  I am a guitar nut and have them loud in all my songs, so I may be biased a bit here.  Your vocals do get a bit lost in the mix.  How about some kind of harmony at certain parts (chorus?).  I am not a great vocalist and struggle to get good vocal takes so I am not the best person to be giving advice about vocals.  I do really like the playing, lyrics, structure, chord changes, timing changes, overall feel of this song.  It is simple and complex at the same time, I like that.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

REALLY AMAZINGLY GOOD SONG!!!!!!

Yes I hear the Beatles influence to, a really good thing in my book !!! OK I too would like a tad less fx on the vox, I think your singing is great and don't need that much help, but if you leave it as is it's still great !!! Hope you're not planning on using a year on your next post 'cause this is great stuff !!!!!!!!!!

Geir
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

first off good sir you are a great songwriter, really liked the stuff at your myspace site, this is a great song but like the others i agree the vox is not prominent enough and has too much effects. this is a mistake i make over and over and in my case its about lack of confidence in my voice. try listening to some mixes with a dry vox turned up loud in the mix, sometimes too much effects can mask the humanity and frailty of the human voice but the thing is they are the things that make a voice special and individual and able to connect with others.
john lennon, wayne coyne, neil young leonard cohen, not great voices but man they can sing. saying that lennon always had that reverb thing on his vox lol
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pedro

This is a great song. It is dynamic, interesting and has some good melodies!

In relation to the mix, vocals shouldn't be so far away. Reducing the reverb could help.

Very good work, I'm interested in hearing more. :)

Bro

Sounding great, nice mix!

Great word on the drums btw! Lovely!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

Flash Harry

I have to agree with all that has been said. Fix the vox and it's a winner.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.