"Doobadoob" (original)

Started by SdC, May 13, 2009, 11:49:39 AM

SdC

doobadoob
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I bring you -Live from Studio 2 (the living room sofa) a fun quick little solo jam.
Used a very little very old casio mini keyboard, Epiphone LP and the BR-600 only! Enough to make a big mess.....

recorder
Boss BR-600

SdC

I promise you I'll get back to my normal gear after this  :P

recorder
Boss BR-600

Bluesberry

I like the wackyness of this.  This is well thought out and well played.  Its a bit of a mindbender for sure.  Nothing wrong with trying to do stuff outside "normal", that is how you keep the creative juices flowing sometimes.  What exactly is your "normal" anyway SdC, there is wide range of styles represented in the posts you have put up so far.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SdC

Thanks!
I guess my "normal" way nowadays is that I find a "trippy" soundscape or idea and get myself in a mode where I'm driven to laying down tracks quickly, without thinking about it too much (in real life, I tend to over-think things), keeping it simple (cheesy) and without being too critical of my playing, cycle idea's to sculpt a coherent natural whole.
I've just had an 8-year pause in my recording. Back then, I tended to make complex heavy mooded atmospheric slow stuff (less so in collaborations). The process was slow, the songs were slow (and shrouded in tape hiss) and depressed. Way too serious. I guess the turnaround in my real life is reflected in the music somewhat.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Bluesberry

Quote(in real life, I tend to over-think things)
I'm with you there.
Quoteget myself in a mode where I'm driven to laying down tracks quickly, without thinking about it too much...and without being too critical of my playing, cycle idea's to sculpt a coherent natural whole.
I have been trying to do something like this lately.  I was getting all hung up by trying to have everything all worked out beforehand (which is my basic nature) and not start recording until ready, which takes forever to get stuff down.  I have played around with an idea recently where I turn on the MBR and record the first thing that comes to mind for 30 secs or so, and just go fron there, it worked out pretty cool.  Another thing I tried was to record 30 s or so on each of the 4 tracks (rhythm guitar stuff), all within a certain key/chord family.  Then cut and paste these together pretty much randon, then go from here and lay other stuff on top.  This has been a huge revelation for me to work this way, much more inspiration and the surprise when something really cool emerges from this is just great (emerges from the  mist).  That is what is so great about the MBR, it makes it so easy to work this way.  Thanks for sharing a bit of your recording/creative method.  I am glad to hear that you are making music again after getting away from it.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SdC

Yeah. I look at these pieces as little "etudes" (study pieces).
I've never tried the independent random recording of tracks like you did; sounds interesting.
You bring lots of improvisation into a track that you find interesting enough to listen to more than 2 times, or even let friends listen to, and it teaches you what works and what doesn't. The more intuitive this gets, the better the results. I just want to be productive again regardless. Right now it feels pretty rewarding.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Satchwood

I like it - very creative!  I like the various layers of sound - I like your soundscape ideas here - enjoyable to listen to - kind of artsy sounding!

www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

SdC

Thanks! well, itlooks like it was enough to get my full membership at bossbr.net. Yippee

recorder
Boss BR-600

SdC

Quote from: Satchwood on May 13, 2009, 01:22:23 PMI like it - very creative!  I like the various layers of sound - I like your soundscape ideas here - enjoyable to listen to - kind of artsy sounding!

That is exactly what I was going for :)

It's always interesting the next day; how does it sound with a clear head. Fortunately I still think it's a funny and bouncy track, with a true analog+8 bit sound. I'll just jot down the recipe down here before Is forget:
1. The little casio keyboard has a built-in "recorder" for a melody. Start the rhythm ("Rock") and play, hitting the "Drum break" button occasionaly. It also has an automatic "arranger" which added the backbeat chord.
2. The result I recorded on T12V1, T56V1, T78V1 with different sounds and effects. All these contain the drum part, hence the "muddy" drums no auto-sync  :D
3. Worked out the tempo and set up the intro drum-dub on the br
4. T3V1: overdrive guitar repetitive L25
5. T4V1: clean rhy guitar R25
6. T78V2: live mix, bounce mode
7. T12V2: vocal
8. T3V2: Lead guitar wah 1
9. T4V2: Lead guitar wah 2
10. T78V3: mixdown, bounce  mode (* forgot to disable reverb on T78V2.... I HATE that default setting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

All in all, it took about 3  hours again.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Greeny

I was just getting into that when it ended! Love the wah and complexity of this... it's really trippy, but with a nice tight groove keeping it all together. Great work!