What does your home studio look like?

Started by SdC, May 13, 2009, 04:15:20 AM

SdC

I'm always curious how other people set up their gear.
At the moment, mine looks like this. Messy.
But I do have a devoted sound engineer!
(mobile phone pics)

recorder
Boss BR-600

Greeny

My BR rests on a sofa or table and I plug my guitar into it. I do the vocals walking around. That's my studio!

Greeny

Quote from: SdC on May 13, 2009, 04:15:20 AMI'm always curious how other people set up their gear.
AP the moment, mine looks like this. Messy.
But I do have a devoted sound engineer!
(mobile phone pics)

That's not messy! At least you have a dedicated area for it. I have to make do with living rooms and bathrooms, lol

SdC

It's not that dedicated; it is also my study/computer room/flight sim cockpit and very very small. There's no escape!

recorder
Boss BR-600

Tony

SdC, I don't want to go off topic (my home study is my home office, storage space, hide things from the kids, wife and myself room - that takes care of that) but can you tell me about the Roland GK2A unit.  I get that it is a guitar synth but what does it connect to, amp or computer or something else.  I'm intrigued.

SdC

The GK-2a is just the pickup-unit (note the extra pick-up next to the bridge). In my case plugged into the Roland GR-33 (synth in pedalboard form http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=237). Roland now also makes "v-guitar" amp cabinets etc.
Now you can buy the newer pickup gk-3 as true build-in kit so you can integrate it in the guitar just like fender does in their "Roland Ready" strats.
http://www.fender.co.uk/products/search.php?partno=0144660380
Godin also makes V-guitar ready guitars.
I had the gk-2 taped to the body for years but recently I gave my Strat a full Service and carved a couple of holes in the body for it. Plays, looks and feels a lot better

recorder
Boss BR-600

Tony

Thanks.  That's quite interesting.  Do you think guitar synths will get a bigger hold of the market?  With the price of keyboard midi controllers and software packages, it seems like they have a hard road in front of them.

Bro

Wow mine sure can't compete with yours!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

SdC

Quote from: Tony on May 13, 2009, 07:31:51 AMThanks.  That's quite interesting.  Do you think guitar synths will get a bigger hold of the market?  With the price of keyboard midi controllers and software packages, it seems like they have a hard road in front of them.
Couldn't tell, but I'm glad Roland keeps working on it, as the only one, for decades now. Steady progress.

recorder
Boss BR-600

SdC

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on May 13, 2009, 07:41:57 AMWow mine sure can't compete with yours!
I didn't mean to show off, honestly
It's just. that recording, down to the nuts and bolts gets me real excited. And I am curious about how y'all get it done. There lives a roadie in me!

recorder
Boss BR-600