i am thinking of migrating from windows 10 to a linux os. looking for advice.

Started by Oldrottenhead, February 21, 2018, 09:30:43 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 23, 2018, 11:24:02 AManyway i am now running linux lite.

i see a big learning curve ahead.  ;D :o

I'm not familiar with Linux Lite but I just had a look at the Wikipedia page about it. It says "The purpose of Linux Lite is to introduce Windows users to Linux", so it might actually be an easier introduction to Linux than Mint or Ubuntu for a Windows user. And it's based on Ubuntu.

Good luck!

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

got most of the basics, but not able to use my printers direct to dvd printing facility, seems like no linux build can either. so will do that via laptop.

can't find an equivalent to convertxtodvd which i use to burn dvds to watch on holiday, tho i think i have installed wine, that may be able to run that, but that's for another day.

it is very stable so far but certainly lite on apps compared to mint and ubuntu.

but i think i will learn the ropes on this for a few days, then try and find a way to get mint going, i really liked the look of that when i ran it in compatibility mode.

tho it has got audacity (or whatever it is you call it) and a few other essentials like firefox and vlc player.

i think my next post will be about wine, mmmmmmmmmmmmm merlot or nero de avalo...........nope wine for running windows software.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 23, 2018, 12:59:35 PMcan't find an equivalent to convertxtodvd which i use to burn dvds to watch on holiday, tho

There are lots of CD/DVD burning programs available for Linux. I use Brasero which is in the Ubuntu repositories. The Video project option will do what you want.

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 23, 2018, 12:59:35 PMit is very stable so far but certainly lite on apps compared to mint and ubuntu.

Since it's built on Ubuntu (as is Mint), I would have thought that you can install anything that's in the Ubuntu repositories. However, from what I'm seeing online, it appears that Linux Lite's repositories only offer a tiny subset of the software that's in the Ubuntu repositories. Why, I don't know. Perhaps they're trying to keep things simple for first-time Linux users coming from Windows.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 23, 2018, 01:47:12 PM
Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 23, 2018, 12:59:35 PMcan't find an equivalent to convertxtodvd which i use to burn dvds to watch on holiday, tho

There are lots of CD/DVD burning programs available for Linux. I use Brasero which is in the Ubuntu repositories. The Video project option will do what you want.

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 23, 2018, 12:59:35 PMit is very stable so far but certainly lite on apps compared to mint and ubuntu.

Since it's built on Ubuntu (as is Mint), I would have thought that you can install anything that's in the Ubuntu repositories. However, from what I'm seeing online, it appears that Linux Lite's repositories only offer a tiny subset of the software that's in the Ubuntu repositories. Why, I don't know. Perhaps they're trying to keep things simple for first-time Linux users coming from Windows.
there is an app that allows downloads from other repositories but so far none have work , cant get wine to work as it wont allow me to configure it. gonna try mint again but this time the xfce version, should be easier to mount on a usb in linux lite as opposed to lingering viruses in windows that i couldn't get rid of.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

Yes! i am running mint, was an uphill struggle, no i got to load apps and drivers again.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Oldrottenhead

it's a rollercoaster, scary but exciting too.

i think my problem was my windows 10 was riddled with errors and viruses. was very straightforward to install mint once i got linux lite running.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

gradually finding my way round mint 18.3 cinnamon, and is a pleasant experience, still finding my feet, but gradually adding apps to replace stuff i had before in windows. reminds me of the day i got my ipad. lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

alfstone

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition