i am thinking of migrating from windows 10 to a linux os. looking for advice.

Started by Oldrottenhead, February 21, 2018, 09:30:43 AM

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 21, 2018, 06:17:12 PM
Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 21, 2018, 05:12:51 PMcant get any music to play tho. erm.

Try this:  https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/codecs.html
i was just doing a trial run from a usb stick, so wasn't given that option when booting from the usb. I am sure when I do a full install, I will have such options.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

guitarron

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 21, 2018, 04:16:03 PMbut my windows 10 is so buggy,
i noticed win10 was buggy on my old lapper(upgraded from win8)-but it came preloaded on my my new lapper and works actually quite well

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: guitarron on February 22, 2018, 05:38:32 PM
Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 21, 2018, 04:16:03 PMbut my windows 10 is so buggy,
i noticed win10 was buggy on my old lapper(upgraded from win8)-but it came preloaded on my my new lapper and works actually quite well
my pc was preloaded with windows8 and I upgraded to windows 10, but since the falls creator update came along, every hour my pc tries to install the update but fails my old pc is not compatible with the new update but I can't stop windows trying to update. So that and having a nasty virus on my pc has lead to my decision to change.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

Struggling to install mint, argh, ASU's has its own bios system so have changed it to insecure boot, but still no joy. Am gonna look at alternatives. Before I through my pc in the garden.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

Bugger nearly installed then I got this message

the grub-efi-amd64-signed package failed to install

Gonna try to install off line .
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

Got Linux lite up and running, installing updates and drivers, here we go, fingers double crossed
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 23, 2018, 09:22:58 AMCurrently installing Ubuntu desktop. Fingers crossed.

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 23, 2018, 10:02:28 AMBugger nearly installed then I got this message

the grub-efi-amd64-signed package failed to install

Gonna try to install off line .

When you install Ubuntu, make sure you're connected to the internet and make sure the installer option "Download updates while installing Ubuntu" is checked. That should solve that grub-efi-amd64-signed error.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Oldrottenhead

i did all that. still failed.

anyway i am now running linux lite.

i see a big learning curve ahead.  ;D :o
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann