Looking for advice on noise/hum issues

Started by Oldrottenhead, February 16, 2018, 10:18:56 AM

Hi, have the same problem with my Strat, even took it to a luthier to check out any loose connections. He suggested packing any space with tin foil to see if that would help, maybe it did a bit but I'm not convinced. I'm afraid it's just one of things that you have to live with or change pick-ups. Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Oldrottenhead

My tele is certainly a lot quieter than my strat. I think it's me tho, not the guitar. It's my playing style. Like I said earlier I strum with the flesh of my thumb so everything is turned to max. Was experimenting with a pick/plectrum earlier today and could turn stuff down a little and noticed a major difference, however I am still struggling to hold the pick properly, once I master that.....................
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Speed Demon

ORH, most of your noise problem is likely due to the use of single coil pickups. Single coil pickups do not have any noise-cancelling capabilities and can be very annoying. You might want to make sure your guitar cable is not near or crosses over an electrical power cable. That will create major line hum. The best solution is to install stacked coil pickups. They are true humbuckers that fit in the space of a single coil pickup.

I use Dimarzio Fast Track 2 pickups just for that reason. A perfect replacement for single coil pickups. Very quiet and very powerful. No buzz or line hum at all.

I fault the manufacturers, who certainly know better, for still selling guitars with noisy pickups.
That is the reason to this day there are no Fender guitars in my collection. Shame on those turkeys
for screwing their customers. Noisy thirty years ago and still noisy to this day.
They do make good firewood, though.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis