White Buffalo

Started by Pine, May 12, 2009, 05:41:37 PM

Wiley

I am going to check out the flute site also.  Sounds like it would be neat to make your own.  Hope to see you hang around with us Pinedog. I only have a micro br, it was what I could afford,  and that forum seems to piciking up tremendously.  Much quieter here. LOL Again loved your song.
P.J.

Bosko Schwartz

Pinedog!  I was wondering where you went to after your introduction!  We used to chat in the old Yahoo BR-1600 user's group before is became a ghost town.  Nice to see you've come here and posted some stuff.  I'm hiding in the BR-1600 section here.

I'd always wondered what a Pinedog would produce.  And it turns out a Pinedog produces incredibly awesome music.  This tune is clearly Native American inspired, but also has some good old-time country twang as well as old Americana/early blues/bluegrass influences (banjo/acoustic guitar/slide guitar), and just an all-round modern sound, especially thanks to the programmed drums.

I can dig it! :D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Oldrottenhead

QuoteORH... I think you may be clairvoyant! I was a huge Kung Fu fan in the early 70's...before the show turned into "let's beat up all the bad guys" and got cancelled. The temple scenes truly changed my life. I have a been a Taoist student to this day.
The native american flute is a bit different than the bamboo he played...or was supposed to be playing...and now that i think of it, i'm not sure the music WAS a bamboo flute...it sounds way more NA. Anyway...as i always say, "it all goes in"...everything we have heard since we took our first breath (maybe sooner?) Although any similarities between White Buffalo and the Kung Fu show intro were unintentional, i'm sure there was a deep connection. Hats off to your intuition!!!
hi pinedog just got round to hearing this again its wonderful. i didn't mean it sounded like the kung fu theme tune, but that it reminded me of it in that there was the same peace and love vibe going on. and yes season 1 and 2 where  great, i watched them recently and couldn't believe that a major us tv channel of that time could have commissioned such a programme lol. maybe hbo should do a remake in the tradition of the 1st season
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pine

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on June 01, 2009, 02:07:43 PMPinedog!  I was wondering where you went to after your introduction!  We used to chat in the old Yahoo BR-1600 user's group before is became a ghost town.  Nice to see you've come here and posted some stuff.  I'm hiding in the BR-1600 section here.

I'd always wondered what a Pinedog would produce.  And it turns out a Pinedog produces incredibly awesome music.  This tune is clearly Native American inspired, but also has some good old-time country twang as well as old Americana/early blues/bluegrass influences (banjo/acoustic guitar/slide guitar), and just an all-round modern sound, especially thanks to the programmed drums.

I can dig it! :D

Hi Bosko...yeah this is day and night from the Yahoo site. Strange there isn't it? Gene, however, is the ultimate BR wizard it seems. Wish he would offer an online class. The guy is like a walking manual. Not sure i'll EVER get there!

Your comments on White Buffalo are insightful. It combines all that somehow. The song was spooky..it really nearly wrote itself. It was like it came through me. That does NOT happen often, believe me!

Your comments about the drums..the only issue. You seemed to like them..i did too at first for their clean, contemporary sound and feel. Several have commented on other sites that i should redo it with hand drums. They may be right...but it won't happen. I almost never go back like that. Feel like i'm diggin' up an artifact that should be left undisturbed...

Hi ORH...i understand what you meant. There are similarities..mostly the flute and it's gentle song. As for the old show, i taped every episode a few years ago when they were in syndicated rerun and have bought some of the pilots as well. The temple scenes are timeless and still give me goosebumps  sometimes. It's like they're speaking to me almost.
   That era was, imho, actually as liberated a time as there ever was in my lifetime. 50's were uptight, 60's were chaos of change..but the early 70's were incredibly loose. Kids of today have no idea HOW loose. Anything went it seems. If it wasn't a danger to others, anything was allowed. That all came to an end by 1980 and the Regan era. Not sure how that show would be received these days. No chance on the networks at all...but HBO could maybe pull it off. Seems peace & love have been replaced by push and shove...
recorder
Boss BR-1200

guitarron

very nice reminds me of prophesy

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Pine

what is "prophecy"?...or is that just the feeling it gives you?
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: Pinedog on June 01, 2009, 04:21:08 PMHi Bosko...yeah this is day and night from the Yahoo site. Strange there isn't it? Gene, however, is the ultimate BR wizard it seems. Wish he would offer an online class. The guy is like a walking manual. Not sure i'll EVER get there!

Your comments on White Buffalo are insightful. It combines all that somehow. The song was spooky..it really nearly wrote itself. It was like it came through me. That does NOT happen often, believe me!

Your comments about the drums..the only issue. You seemed to like them..i did too at first for their clean, contemporary sound and feel. Several have commented on other sites that i should redo it with hand drums. They may be right...but it won't happen. I almost never go back like that. Feel like i'm diggin' up an artifact that should be left undisturbed...

Hi ORH...i understand what you meant. There are similarities..mostly the flute and it's gentle song. As for the old show, i taped every episode a few years ago when they were in syndicated rerun and have bought some of the pilots as well. The temple scenes are timeless and still give me goosebumps  sometimes. It's like they're speaking to me almost.
   That era was, imho, actually as liberated a time as there ever was in my lifetime. 50's were uptight, 60's were chaos of change..but the early 70's were incredibly loose. Kids of today have no idea HOW loose. Anything went it seems. If it wasn't a danger to others, anything was allowed. That all came to an end by 1980 and the Regan era. Not sure how that show would be received these days. No chance on the networks at all...but HBO could maybe pull it off. Seems peace & love have been replaced by push and shove...

True, day and night!  I stop by over there every once in a while, and my last post from weeks ago is still the most recent.  Sadly, I think that group has met its demise.  You're right about Gene.  Is Gene here somewhere?  If not, he should be!

I love when that happens with a song.  It's rare, but one of the greatest experiences a songwriter can have.  It just flows through you and sort of writes itself.  I've had a few of those, and I've had a few of the opposite, in which I work on it for weeks and can't seem to get it right, then I usually put it on the shelf and come back to it months later.

I do like the programmed drums, but if you were to redo them with live hand drums, I am sure they would be even better.  You're talking to a drummer here, don't forget.  I will always go for live drums of any sort over programmed drums.  I am the opposite of you: I go back to songs WAY too much when they shouldn't be tampered with anymore!

Anyway, glad you are here in this Forum now -- I feel like I have an old friend back in town. :D

www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

guitarron

Quote from: Pinedog on June 01, 2009, 05:59:45 PMwhat is "prophecy"?...or is that just the feeling it gives you?
prophesy is an native american musical group

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Wow. Just stumbled across this! It's fantastic, Pinedog. There are some very deep bluegrass and native American roots in this soundscape. It's timeless and wonderful, and you make me want to buy a banjo!!! Great work.

Pine

Thanks Greeny. Of all the songs i've ever done, this one has been far and away the most popular. I consider myself a singer/songwriter. In this one, my fingerpicked guitar was mixed quite low and i never opened my mouth. Perhaps there is a message there   :D
recorder
Boss BR-1200