How to link back to YouTube from a posted video?

Started by Mach, January 21, 2018, 08:16:16 AM

Mach

Hi all,

How do we go to YouTube from a video posted in What are you listening to right now? I liked that function so you could discover more music by the Artist videos that are posted here.

I know YouTube has changed it's format and it is possible to get back to the old version by clicking the settings drop down and choosing Restore old YouTube. However, when I did that it didn't work. The video's on the YouTube site wouldn't play at all and it didn't change to the old version here either. I switched back to the new layout and the video's are now playing...??? confusing ???... Is there something I am missing?

Mach
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

T.C. Elliott

I just click the title of the video at the top of the video preview (before I hit play) and it usually (like just now when I tried it) takes me to youtube to watch the video.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Mach

Thanks T.C.,

I think there may be something (add-on or extension) I need to download for Firefox. When I go to a page in the What are you listening to right now section, I get a blank video screen. When I try it in Chrome the preview and text info shows up.

I've attached screenshots from both browsers.

recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Mach on January 21, 2018, 10:09:04 AMI think there may be something (add-on or extension) I need to download for Firefox.
No add-ons or extensions are needed to view YouTube videos in Firefox. Not in Linux anyway. I can't be certain about Windows.

Quote from: Mach on January 21, 2018, 10:09:04 AMWhen I go to a page in the What are you listening to right now section, I get a blank video screen. When I try it in Chrome the preview and text info shows up.
The Firefox screenshot you attached shows that the video player is loaded and ready to play (video length 4:39). The black screen just means that the poster image didn't load. I don't know why the poster image isn't loading for you but it doesn't necessarily mean that the video won't play. Have you tried clicking the play button? What happens?

What happens if you right-click on the video? You should see a menu like this:

If you select "Copy video URL" then paste it into a new tab or browser window, it should take you to the YouTube page where you should be able to play the video.

If you use an ad-blocking add-on, it's possible that it's blocking the poster image, which would explain why it's black. Try disabling it on Songcrafters (we don't have any ads anyway). And see this page:

https://help.getadblock.com/support/solutions/articles/6000137829-youtube-videos-show-a-black-screen-but-i-hear-the-audio

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Mach

Thanks 64,
I'm not at my computer at the moment but will try disabling ad block when I get back. The black screen will play the video I just couldn't see any text at the top to link back to YouTube. I tried the right click copy and paste but it didn't work in Firefox. Not sure why.
Mach
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Mach on January 21, 2018, 04:40:23 PMThe black screen will play the video I just couldn't see any text at the top to link back to YouTube.

If you move the mouse pointer over the video while it's playing, it should briefly show the controls as well as the text/link at the top. Also, it will show the word "YouTube" at the bottom-right. If you move the mouse pointer over the "YouTube" text, it will display the hint "Watch on youtube.com" as shown in the following screenshot. If you click it, it should take you to the YouTube page, just as clicking on the text at the top does.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Mach

OK I disabled everything in the Add-ons Manager then reset AdBlocker Ultimate & Popup Blocker Ultimate and it's all good now.
I don't know what happened, but at least it's back working the way it use to. Thank you 64 for your help, you always come through.
But our Jags lost the AFC Championship game  :(

Mach
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR