Dechromium Cob (Redux) -- rare blues from me

Started by Ted, May 11, 2009, 03:22:08 PM

Ted

08 Dechromium Cob Redux
Time:
0:00
Volume:
This is one of the first songs I ever wrote, nearly 30 years ago.  Last year I re-recorded it with my MBR to share with my friends from my high-school band, The Nutrients.

Here's the story of the song:

QuoteThere was a large vacant lot separating my house from Rolling Stone Records on 35th Avenue and Northern [in Phoenix, AZ], which is where Ward Aycock worked.  I frequently walked the half-mile in the dark, and I could sing or rant to myself if I wanted to, and usually nobody was there to hear me.  I created the first verse to Dechromium Cob while on one of these walks, using a phrase from Frank Zappa ("Gimme de chromium cob!").  I sang it again and again and laughed to myself.  I had learned the term from Ward and couldn't wait to present it for his approval.  He was unimpressed.  I was disappointed, but undeterred.  A day or so later I hummed the riff to Ron and asked if he could play it on guitar.  He said he'd recently learned the very riff.

When we were in high school, "dechromium cob" was our code word for how some of the weightlifters walked, if you get my drift.  If you don't, then listen to the lyrics.

I've been told I sound like a Muppet in this song.  My throat hurt for four days after I recorded the vocals.  My stepdaughter helps with background vocals.

Update: March 13, 2021

More than anyone should ever want to know about this song:

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Oldrottenhead

this is brilliant reminds me of the residents meets captain beefheart love it love, honey in your tea "doctor rottenheads orders for your throat". saying that i had  similar experiences trying to sing in the style of tom waits on 48's noodle and osckilo's circus, but some brandy cured the rawness in my throat. love the squealing backing vox, this is  pure gold.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Hysterical and adorable at the same time. Very Beefheart as ORH says. Love the backing vox, they just tip it over the edge into total insanity. Great stuff! Honey and hot lemon with a slug of whisky works fine for me BTW.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

OsCKilO

Have You been drinking the same stuff as ORH?!?!

Crazy cool!!!

Screw the Honey and lemon...Sounds great.

T(Osckilo)

P.s

Where did the kids choir come from?
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

I dig it!! Got a big laugh from the muppets reference - All I can think of now is the two old hecklers in the balcony :D

Anything Zappa influenced is alright in my book!

Nice Post!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ted

It's pretty funny that ORH and Ferryman are hearing a Captain Beefheart influence, when the title--and only the title--was influenced, second hand, by a Zappa song related to me by a record store clerk on whom I had a serious mancrush.  But back when I wrote this, my listening diet didn't get any closer to this feel than Nightclubbing by Iggy Pop.  Beefheart was nowhere near my ears.

Quote from: osckilo on May 11, 2009, 03:52:09 PMWhere did the kids choir come from?

That was my stepdaughter.  I recorded about six takes of that, and then mixed them together in pairs.  I'm in the background too, but can't compete with the screeching of a nine-year-old girl.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Greeny

This is great! Captain Beefheart on vocals with Ray Manzerak on keyboards. It may not have been a direct influence, but the vocal delivery is quite similar (and in a good way...). I love the squealy shouting thing going on as you whip yourself up into a cob frenzy. It's all rather brilliant and original, and I'm glad you posted it!

The Reverend 48

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Ted, I think it's your vocal style that reminds us of Beefheart. there were many similarities in some aspects of their material so song wise it could have been either of them!

Nine year old girl screeching should be on more records. What does she think of the finished result? Hav you dared play it to her....?

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR