Scratchpad 01

Started by joseph, May 09, 2009, 11:57:12 PM

joseph

scratchpad 01
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hello, all! I'm back with a second piece.

This is something of a take on the first piece in that it started out again as an exercise in scales with lots of delay, but I thought I'd introduce some chords. The result went in an entirely different direction than the previous exercise.

The playing is a little sloppy but I am happy to report I've noticed significant improvements in my playing in just the last week since I bought my MBR. :)

I've called it "Scratchpad 01" because I feel like it needs a lot of work but could eventually be turned into a proper song. I'd like to work towards an entire album of material, but for now I'm still learning the ins and outs of this wonderful little machine.

For my next piece I'm going to work on including some rhythm, either something I arrange on the BR itself out of the preset patterns or something I program myself on my computer (which I've got quite a bit of experience with).
http://unstableau.tumblr.com - my blog: music, writings, doodles, etc

Kody

WoW man!! This is a schnazzy little piece!  Very catchy~ Sounds to me like your playing doesn't need any improving!!  Good Stuff, Joseph!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Geir

Yeah ... WOW .... Great piece ..

.. get a string quartet vibe from this one
Great composition, playing and production

Geir
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

joseph

Quote from: Kody on May 10, 2009, 12:18:35 AMWoW man!! This is a schnazzy little piece!  Very catchy~ Sounds to me like your playing doesn't need any improving!!  Good Stuff, Joseph!!

Thank you very much! I am having a blast with this recorder, so improvement is coming fast. I expect my playing to become a little more complex, faster, and crisper in the coming weeks and months.

Quote from: Geir on May 10, 2009, 12:31:54 AMYeah ... WOW .... Great piece ..

.. get a string quartet vibe from this one
Great composition, playing and production

Geir

Thank you! I love what layering simple melodies, delay, and adjusting the panning accordingly can achieve. None of the individual tracks are particularly complex or hard to play (again, just bits of scales), but when layered over eachother in different ways can create some really compelling sounds!

So much of what I do is accidental. :P But I guess that's improvisation.

I have a lot of practice ahead of me to get to where I will feel good about my playing, but it's wonderful to hear positive reinforcements of what I'm doing along the way!

BAG

I like it. That really had me hooked.

I seem to have a bit of trouble layering effects. You did a great job.

Probably why i tend to stick to acoustic stuff. :P
Just a roadie again.....

Bro

Very catch indeed.

It's a great idea to record your exercises, i used to do that.

I might just download this and put it on my mp3! Great job!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

joseph

Quote from: BAG on May 10, 2009, 01:03:44 AMI like it. That really had me hooked.

I seem to have a bit of trouble layering effects. You did a great job.

Probably why i tend to stick to acoustic stuff. :P

Thank you very much! :)

I've spent years composing digital music (Fruity Loops, anyone? :P), so I suppose layering effects comes easier with experience. I'd love to record some acoustic stuff, but unfortunately, due to financial reasons, I had to sell my acoustic recently. I'll be replacing it in time though, at which point I will bust out some serious folk jams! :P

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on May 10, 2009, 03:08:32 AMVery catch indeed.

It's a great idea to record your exercises, i used to do that.

I might just download this and put it on my mp3! Great job!

Thank you! Feel free to download and play along or do whatever with it.

I am having a lot of fun. It's like jamming with myself, which is unfortunately all I can do right now, as while I have many musician friends they're all rather busy with their bands and aren't available for casual jamming or collaboration.

Greeny

Love it. It has a bit of a celtic jig going on. Pretty and hypnotic. I wish I could play this... I can hear songs coming off the back of it so easily. Good stuff my friend.

Bluesberry

A great start to something.  Keep on tinkering, it just keeps getting bigger and more refined all the time.

QuoteThe playing is a little sloppy but I am happy to report I've noticed significant improvements in my playing in just the last week since I bought my MBR.
My playing has gone up 1000% since getting the MBR, it is a really great learning tool.
QuoteSo much of what I do is accidental.  But I guess that's improvisation.
This is exactly how I work, I like to call this inspiration.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Satchwood

Nice original tune - nicely blended and creative! Inspiring!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)