improv jam....

Started by shiggity, May 09, 2009, 10:02:08 AM

Greeny

Cool jam! You're a tight and VERY skilled unit on the strength of this! Looking forward to more.

hewhoiscalledj

Hey Shiggity... (excellent handle by the way!)

Geir had a good point in that it's better to record quiet than it is to allow all the distortion/clipping. You can always boost the levels, and adjust the sound during the mastering phase. Inevitably, wave files will sound better because the added file compression in mp3s can tend to exagerate the nasty stuff.

With that said, i record my band at every session using my MicroBR but I use an Audio Technica Pro24 stereo mic. I've found that it handles loud noise much better (higher SPLs) and it allows me to set my sensitivity level much higher (around -3/4) and it literally sits near the center of the room about 6' centered in front of the drums. The vocal PA speakers sit on each side of the drums, with the guitar cab and bass cab on opposite corners pointed towards the mic/center. Keys play thru 2 other speakers opposite the vocal speakers. I also record only using the Limiter and it's set at -1 with a fast attack and moderate release. My set up avoids all clipping while still getting a strong signal on the level meters. Centering the stereo mic (or built-in) helps to get a much better stereo image and to me, it improves the live sound.

Believe me when I say that I understand how tough it can be to tame a wild drummer; it's much tougher when the drummer is damn near the star of the band (talent wise.) But a good drum sound is important to a good recording so...

again, try the limiter at -1/2 and you'll be able to increase your sensitivity dramatically. you can also experiment with the actual track level too (select the track and scroll until you see LEVEL) I think mine is set around 88. Dont have it with me at work so i'm not entirely sure. When I master, I boost the master level up around 108 and use compression/EQ to maximize the ROCK!

Peace!

shiggity

thanks J, Nice post! And your handle reminds me of The Holy Grail... there are those who call me... TIM?

Your AT stereo, battery powered, BR powered or Phantom power?

I usually record str to MP3, just for the ease of being able to stop and start a new track between tunes. This is just for scratch pad recording and nothing is final in our songs at this point. this is still a new band. But i apprieceiate your very in depth advice! thanks

hewhoiscalledj

yes, my handle was somewhat inspired by Monty Python. the AT mic is powered by the BR, but can also use a small battery (forgot what kind) it needs anywhere between 2.5v - 10v which the BR supplies nicely.

i thought about recording to mp3 but i've gotten so used to my mastering process and the better quality that i havent looked back. plus, i like having the wave files on a cd playing during my commute to work. serious difference in quality as i'm sure you know. since i heavily critique my bands work, its nice to hear as much of it as possible.

i'll post more stuff up when i get a chance. work is busy right now and i've got night classes for another couple of weeks and it's draining all my energy. ugh...

peace out brada...

launched

Wow, that's tight and high energy - I love hearing live jam sessions. Great guitar work.

I respect the kit, too, and learned to play some while jamming with people when the drummer didn't show up. That guy's got some power behind him!

I'd be interested in hearing some more...

Later,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover