£160 Harley benton vs £1600 Carvin

Started by Johnny Robbo, June 17, 2017, 10:46:23 AM

Johnny Robbo

Here's the low-down on the new Harley Benton. You can see the comparison with the Carvin at 13:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SryJsRKptLg
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

kenny mac

Brilliant review mate,I prefer the Harley Benton hands down
Excellent stuff.

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

ODH

Smashing axe. Love the vision on reference
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Pete C

I love these comparison videos!  Great video

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

bruno

Another great and interesting vid. Thanks for posting Johnny.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

T.C. Elliott

Good video. I've heard good things about HB guitars and it's nice to have a review of this depth. (sorry I'm late to the party)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Mike_S

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on November 15, 2018, 05:56:01 PMGood video. I've heard good things about HB guitars and it's nice to have a review of this depth. (sorry I'm late to the party)

Yes I have heard a lot of good things about HB too on this site and on YouTube. My own experience however was a little different with the purchase of a HB Les Paul. Mine was unplayable and needed quite a bit of work to make it playable. Frets were really rough with sharp edges, a couple needed re-seating. It's worth mentioning too most of the parts too are really cheap quality. The tuners were very poor. One got damaged with only the slightest of knocks here at home (I don't gig), so i replaced with higher quality tuners. The jack plate broke too very easily (my fault - I dropped it), so again replaced it with a more sturdy version. I was advised also while getting everything sorted by a luthier to replace the bridge, can't remember what he said but something to the effect that it wasn't the right bridge for that guitar.

It now plays great but I think it's worth mentioning. I think there is a bit of truth in both the fact that high end guitars are way over priced... I agree with this. But I also think the really cheap guitars you see everywhere these days might need a few quid spent on them in order to bring them up to a decent standard, sometimes quite a few quid.

recorder
iPad GarageBand

T.C. Elliott

That's a very good point. From my recent research into budget guitars, replacing the tuners, sometimes the nut, and often the pickups can make a huge difference. Thanks for sharing your experience.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London