Tascam FW1884 interface and control surface

Started by hewhoiscalledj, May 06, 2009, 01:02:50 PM

hewhoiscalledj

Ok, The Boss MicroBR has gotten me soooo interested into the world of recording that I've decided to make the leap into computer recording. I was originally planning on just sticking to multi-track units which i have been comfortable using for quite some time. After speaking to the rest of my band, and with some helpful folks at the music store, I've bit the bullet and purchased a used Tascam FW1884, along with a decent pair of mics (Cascade M20u; stereo pair.)

I only have limited experience with using software sequencers, but I'll be using Logic. the band is excited to really get down with the new gear and record an actual album... Granted, it "could" have been done with BR, but we are stepping up our efforts and plan on making the most of modern technology and DAWs.

I'm hanging on to my precious MicroBR but it will be mostly used for songwriting, and just recording jam sessions (it's still much easier to use than any new fangled computer system so for that, it's just perfect) 

Wish me luck!

Kody

That's awesome J!! I wish you guys all the luck in the world!! BTW, I checked into that Tweakhedz site you were talking about and I'm totally digging it...Good stuff man! Thanx!!

Make sure you post something when you can......!

PeAcE
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

hewhoiscalledj

yeah, it's tough getting anything done right now. as soon as work dies down again, i'll start bringing my BR to the office and post some stuff up. try doing that with other gear!

glad you enjoy the tweakheadz site. along with this forum, it has been a fantastic source of info.

peace brada...

Oldrottenhead

Tascam FW1884 looks a cool peice of kit, but looks like a big learning curve lies ahead, dont forget to post the results.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

hewhoiscalledj

yeah, in a lot of ways, i'm starting all over again with my education in audio. i expect it will take some months and then some to really get this all down. still, it must be done.

and yes, it's a sweet piece of gear. i look forward to untangling cables. NOT.

hewhoiscalledj

Just an update... The learning curve on this unit is absurd. Not only do I have to be a recording engineer, but apparently a computer technician, a therapist for my band (who want this all done like yesterday) and as it turns out, I'm expected to be patient too... LOL.

I saw all this coming so it's really no surprise. Its a daunting task I have before me but so far it's been a pretty cool ride. For those of you who are completely satisfied with your current BR... stick with it. I've really just learned how amazing those little buggers are when you consider ease of use, quickness of ability to put out a finished product, and the fact that it fits in your coat pocket.

that is all  ;)