Woodentop (Johnny Robbo original)

Started by Johnny Robbo, March 03, 2017, 04:49:33 AM

IanR

Holy crap.

You're the guy I'm scared of when I go the guitar shop to try out a new instrument.

Loved it.

It sounds like you are having lots of fun.

Is the lead improvised? If not, how did you work it out (arrange it)?

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Groundy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Redler

This lasts about 5 minutes and you're able put something new and fresh on it all the time! That is amazing skill!

Enjoyable bluesy stuff from the star to finish! Bravo!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Johnny Robbo

Thanks chaps! What a lovely way to start the day – I switch on the laptop & see all of the wonderful comments you've left. Much, much appreciated!

Quote from: IanR on March 03, 2017, 08:04:51 PMHoly crap.

You're the guy I'm scared of when I go the guitar shop to try out a new instrument.

Loved it.

As for the lead part, Ian, I suppose it's a bit of both... composed in advance and improvised. Different sections of the tune lean more to an ad hoc "off the cuff" approach & other parts are more of a composition:

Here's the way I did it – this is pretty much how all my tracks get mapped out:

Riffs (worked out in advance)

Verse 1 (0:35) A basic theme – that "di-diddly-dah-dah" lick that the verse begins on. This was planned in advance. I keep going back to this phrase (or some variation on it) to give a sense of continuity. But I also allow myself to "noodle" around it if that's what comes out as I'm playing.

Verse 2 (0:51) Take the basic idea I used for verse 1 and shift it up an octave. I also went "off piste" a bit more in the 2nd verse – I find you can do this once the listener has heard the melody once through.

Stops: (1:07) I was just jamming here.

Solo #1 (1:15) A jam over a jazz/blues chord sequence – I'm playing to the chord changes here, making use of some of the "outside" notes found in the chord progression.

Solo #2 (1:31) Same approach as Solo #1

Riffs (1:55) Back to the main riff again just to nail it down a bit & restore some order.

Bridge (2:11) A melody that I worked out in advance, then learned to play until it was fluent. I can then insert a few "twiddly bits" around the main structure of the tune.

Verse 3 (2:46) The same approach as verses 1 & 2

Verse 4 (3:02) As above

Solo #3 (3:18) Basically another free-form jam in the same vein as the earlier improvised sections. I made a decision to ramp up the jazziness here with a few altered-dominant licks – I'm especially pleased with the one at 3:24, which I stole from John Coltrane :)

Stops (3:42) This is me doing my best "Gary Moore" impersonation.

Bridge (3:50) Basically the same melody as the earlier bridge section (albeit with a slightly different chord progression). Again... worked out in advance & practised to the point where I can improvise around it a little in order to make it sound spontaneous.

Riffs (4:24) I used the main riff as a way of bringing the whole thing full circle to end the tune.

I hope this sheds some light on it for you :)

Thanks again everyone... you've made my day!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

bruno

Now that deserves a large, cold, congratulatory beer! If we ever meet, its on me :-)
Super, super playing mate - I really enjoy the detailed notes, it gives a real insight in how you do things. It always makes me think that my approach is always so haphazard and it helps me, for one, to read and learn! Thank you for sharing these.
The track itself is a great tune to sit back, press play and let it wash over you. As been said many times by various members, SG is a major source of music listening these days. Great playing!
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Oldrottenhead

wow! what a big sound you created here. FMGWABP!
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

stoman

If I had only 1% of your guitar skills, I'd be rocking the halls! :)

Do you just improvise, or do you compose your songs? Because this sounds very well defined to me, but still has that "organic" vibe. Great job!

Ella

I love this! So wonderful big sound and very compelling rhythm! Excellent!

IanR

Quote from: Johnny Robbo on March 04, 2017, 01:48:54 AMThanks chaps! What a lovely way to start the day – I switch on the laptop & see all of the wonderful comments you've left. Much, much appreciated!

Quote from: IanR on March 03, 2017, 08:04:51 PMHoly crap.

Loved it.

I hope this sheds some light on it for you :)

Thanks again everyone... you've made my day!

Thanks John, that's really interesting.

You have the chops to do this so seamlessly. 

I try to do the same thing sometimes but my level of skill is well below yours. I have trouble managing a sequence of chord changes, let alone trying to solo over the top. 

I think you made our day!

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

In awe as always. In my 68 years I've heard many superb guitarists but very few would measure up to your unbelievable talent.    Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800