What BOSS pedals do you use?

Started by Davo, May 04, 2009, 01:07:21 PM

Davo

Quote from: SdC on May 04, 2009, 02:46:26 PMI grew up with the turbo overdrive, DD-3, compressor, Super chorus.
Now have them all-1-one; GT-8, in combination with Roland GR-33 guitar synth (which is also sort-of-almost-Boss, and is a pedalboard).

I have a GT-8 also, whats your take on it?  Im having some difficulty with getting good sounds.  Do you record from the headphones out (stereo) or plug in mono?
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: launched on May 04, 2009, 03:33:40 PMBossMicroBrewMeisterMan - Yes, it's a Head-Only 50W - All Tube - The thing rips!

Mark

Ah ha! Yes, LaunchedMeister!! Those things are incredible. I think that's one of the best heads that Crate has ever made. A friend of mine has one, actually. You one lucky sonofagun to have one of those puppies!!
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

Geir

Quote from: BossMicroBRew on May 04, 2009, 01:37:57 PMOnly own one Boss-made pedal...
Boss DS-1
Well that's the one that counts, isn't it? I sold mine several years ago (stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid me) ... oh well ...

Got a OS-2, now that's a versatile pedal !!!! Overdrive/distOrtion with a knob to blend them !!! It's the only stomp-box I still use, (got a SD-1, a HM-3 ... probably some more I've forgotten  ???

cheers
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

launched

Quote from: BossMicroBRew on May 04, 2009, 03:50:44 PMThose things are incredible. I think that's one of the best heads that Crate has ever made.

I agree! It has a rich clean channel and a gain channel that will horrify even the most understanding of  neighbors! Massive feedback and, oh yeah, this post is about BOSS pedals.... Sorry!

Geir, wasn't OS-2 a failed IBM operating system or something?  :D
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

Quote from: launched on May 04, 2009, 05:00:39 PM
Quote from: BossMicroBRew on May 04, 2009, 03:50:44 PMGeir, wasn't OS-2 a failed IBM operating system or something?  :D
sure was ... until BOSS bought it and crammed it into a nice orange box with 4 knobs on it :):):)::)):) ..... well it's discontinued so maybe they should have changed the name too!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

hewhoiscalledj

just a Boss DS-1 for me. i keep it in case i ever decide to start modding pedals. it would be a great one to try it on.

my main distortion pedal is now an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. it's awesome!

SdC

Quote from: Davo on May 04, 2009, 03:41:00 PMI have a GT-8 also, whats your take on it?  Im having some difficulty with getting good sounds.  Do you record from the headphones out (stereo) or plug in mono?
I like the gt-8. The classic BOSS pedals are in there. I've found a set of about 7 presets that I like a lot, and programmed about 25 variations on those, custom-fit to specific songs. I use it for recording and headphone-jamsessions mostly, feeding the line-outs back to the GR-33, mixing the guitar and synth, and then into a mixer with little active monitors (and the Boss BR obviously!)
It's hard to not get carried away with endless tweaking sessions That requires a bit of self-discipline.
In the end, it's still the guitar itself that has to produce a good tone and often less is more.
The "acoustic" simulator and all that synthetic stuff is not working for me, good for a bit of fun but otherwise too annoying and fake to seriously use.

Usability: I really miss a dedicated footswitch for Manual/Preset! One of the most-used buttons, in -in my opinion- the worst place.

recorder
Boss BR-600

jkevinwolfe

RC2 Loop Station. I bought it shortly before I discovered the Micro. Shelved it immediately. Lent it to a friend who is a substantially better musician than me and getting a lot more use out of it than I was.

I have been diligently working to plug directly into the Micro and get as much out of the Effects patches as possible.

guitarron

i have a CS3 compressor-a real warrior as well as a old chorus pedal
also an OD1 and a OD2-turbo overdrive
they used to be a mainstay in my rig

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

I'm selling off some of my old music junk that I don't need anymore.  I've got an old Ibanez AD9 analog delay, I thought I might get $60 for it.

Turns out it's a highly sought after classic.  The item listed on eBay at about 3:00 PM today, and by 5:00 PM there was already a bidding war going.  I might get more than $150 for this old thing.

Back in the late '80's and early '90's, when I recorded stuff on my cassette 4-track, I used this box on vocals because I didn't have reverb.

A few weeks ago I got $30 for a couple of newer stomp boxes that do 20 times more than this old tank.

Weird.

Do you s'pose I'll be able to sell my Micro BR for $150 in 20 years?b
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac