What BOSS pedals do you use?

Started by Davo, May 04, 2009, 01:07:21 PM

Davo

What Boss pedals are you guys using and why? 

Im a huge fan and find new uses for em all the time.  Ill go through some of mine.

Boss BD-2 (Bluesdriver)-A great basic OD, less mid hump then the tubescreamer, which sometimes is just the ticket.   I eventually had it modded to Keeley specs.  Now it sounds like my guitars volume knob goes to "50" rather then "10"-louder but with even bass and treble.  I use it to slam my tube amp, sounds wonderful.

Boss DS-1 (Distortion)-I bought this pedal to mod, and it now has a built in compression dial and 3 "mids" settings.  I usually plug this into the Blues Driver, sounds great and adds its own sag as well.  Closest description I could give would be the Nirvana distortion tone.

Boss GE-7 (Guitar Equalizer)-This pedal is probably my most used.  It serves as a preamp, volume boost, and pre and post distortion EQ.  It gives other pedals much more versatility.  Ive also used it in the effects loops of my amps for post effects tone modification.  Useful for Bass, and on ocasion vocals too.

Boss CE-5 (Chorus Ensemble)-This is an older analog model.  I like the ability to blend the effect into the clean signal.  This chorus never struck me as a "warm" chorus but the "cold" sounds it put out fits perfect for many songs I do.  Think more of a Joy Division sound.   It can be warmed up some by rolling off some of the top end.  I love using this for my Sonic Youth style noise jams.  Sounds nice on bass too.  One day I will try vocals through it.

What Boss pedals do you guys use and why?
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Bro

Boss TU-80
a tuner, not a pedal though :) Just a tuner and a metronome

Boss CS-3
A great classic compressor, perfect for some great compression and the usual compressor stuff! Love it!

Boss MD-2
Boss mega distortion a very versatile distortion pedal, due to its name :)
and a bunch of other pedals :)
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

BossMicroBRew

Only own one Boss-made pedal...

Boss DS-1

Would like a Boss Chorus though or the chromatic tuner.
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

launched

MT-2 Metal Zone, baby - All the way!!! Great solid state sounding distortion, a buddy of mine "steals" it all the time for direct inject recording - Good for a Dimebag Darrell "Nothing warm about my tone" sound!!

I have a CE-5 Chorus Ensemble pedal that I like a lot, too. You can really feed that thing to an amp and it doesn't sound colored at all.

However, now that I have a Micro, I rarely use any pedals at all and plug in directly. My Crate Vintage Club head has been gathering a little dust (Love that head, too!).  8)

Peace,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Kody

I haven't used any stomp boxes since back in the day....Now I exclusively use a Line 6 podxt w/ the FBV Shortboard~ It has all the essentials~ more stuff than I probably know about lol...

Boss Pedals I previously owned:

The good old GT-3
PW-10 V Wah~ Oh man, I loved that thing....it had all the good Boss distortions plus different sounding wahs, but my favorite was the Univibe on it...Dude, seriously kicked! I didn't need it after I went the Line 6 route and got $80 for it on ebay...which I did need.  I've used the Metal Zone, Chorus Ensemble, and compression to name a few, but never actually owned them.  I used to think that the Metal Zone was the best distortion I ever heard....But I love my Line 6's much more!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

BossMicroBRew

Quote from: launched on May 04, 2009, 01:38:06 PMMy Crate Vintage Club head has been gathering a little dust (Love that head, too!).  8)

Is that the 50W tube head, by chance?!
"90-proof pain, I shot at a time."  -George Molton

SdC

I grew up with the turbo overdrive, DD-3, compressor, Super chorus.
Now have them all-1-one; GT-8, in combination with Roland GR-33 guitar synth (which is also sort-of-almost-Boss, and is a pedalboard).

recorder
Boss BR-600

SdC

Quote from: Kody on May 04, 2009, 01:52:18 PM.....Now I exclusively use a Line 6 podxt w/ the FBV Shortboard~ .....
That's my second set up. Mostly use that with humbuckers for better "classic fat" sound. My wannabe-Strat seems to sound better over the Boss gear, and for a more contemporary sound.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Flash Harry

None. Zilch, zero, nils.

If anyone has a spare one......
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

launched

BossMicroBrewMeisterMan - Yes, it's a Head-Only 50W - All Tube - The thing rips!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover