mp3 Player

Started by ODH, February 27, 2017, 05:32:23 AM

ODH

My aging pie-pod is dead.  It got dropped on the kitchen floor from a worktop.  Now the only noise I can get from it is a death-rattle.

Which means I have to replace it with something else.  Don't want another iPod.  After a brief bit of research,
I have this FiiO X1 as the current favourite;

I'd be really interested to hear any advice / stories / recommendations, though.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Johnny Robbo

I swear by the Sony Walkman NWZ series players.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/MP3-Digital-Audio-Players/Sony-NWZE585-16-GB-Walkman-Video-Black/B00E3PUD1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488199148&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+walkman+nwz+16gb

They're a bit pricey compared with some you can buy (my 16Gb one was about £80). But... the sound quality is in a different league compared to just about every other player I've used. It also has noise cancelling earbuds as standard. The EQ settings are really well thought out and you can create your own custom settings too. You can import playlists that you create on your PC or use the "bookmark" feature on the player to create them on the fly.

Another big thing for me is that I object to having to install glitchy 3rd party software (as in iTunes) just to transfer mp3s to what is effectively a USB storage device. With the Sony, it's just a case of plugging it in and you can transfer via drag & drop in Windows Explorer.

The only downside is the limited storage (only 16GB) but I keep all my music on an external hard drive & also back it up to Dropbox. Every now & again, I delete some albums off the Walkman as I get tired of them and replace them with others. I just think of is as a way of carrying my favourite 150 or so albums with me wherever I go. If you want absolutely ALL of your music on they player then you're going to need much more than 16GB... and that pretty much limits you to an iPod anyway.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

John.
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

AndyR

I use a Sony NWZE585 16 GB Walkman, had it for a couple of years. Looks a fair bit smaller than the Fiio X1, and doesn't have removable memory card. When I was first looking, that would have been an issue... but I rip stuff to wma (96k I think) rather than mp3, (it supports all sorts). Doing it with wma, I can get LOADS on it and it still sounds fab - I don't feel the need for expandable space on it (ok, I could go lossless... but I'd have to rip it ALL again - for the second or third time now!! :D)

At the weekends we plug it into the line in on our stereo digital radio for nice lie-in music.

If it conked out, I'd buy another without even thinking. I've dropped it, trodden on it, nothing has touched it yet - I love it.

EDIT - same beast as Johnny... great minds etc :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1