Perfect Day (original)

Started by Bluesberry, May 03, 2009, 06:42:47 PM

Bosko Schwartz

Holy shit, Bluesberry!  I had no idea this was in you!  I had to go back and check the author just to make sure this was actually posted by you.  Where did that crazy prog-esque synth come from???  I had known you to be just a blues geetar player until I heard this.  Turns out you are very well-rounded.  This song has something for everyone.  I agree the singing is a tad pitchy, but at least you don't masque your voice with tons of effects like I do to hide it.  It's in your face and not hidden -- I respect that.  I still can't get over the synth in the intro.  I wish it would come back stronger later in the song.  There's a tiny taste right at the end, but it's not enough.  The guitar solo in the middle is vintage Bluesberry -- classic, solid as a rock.

Good work, BB!!! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bluesberry

Thank you Boscko very much.  You came along when I started posting in the BR-1200 spot.  I still have my micro but I usually only do simpler stuff on it, so you would have only heard blues jams and the like.  I do have some more complete original songs in the micro spot, you would have to hunt them out back in history.  I would love to have your opinion on some of those some day.  Thanks for the great comments, I am very glad I surprised you, that means I caught your attention, of which I feel good.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Diego Ayala

Quote from: 64Guitars on May 06, 2009, 07:39:44 PM
Quote from: Bluesberry on May 06, 2009, 04:53:46 PMI really need to take more time and effort to get my vocals more in tune with the music (pitch control)

Have you tried the BR-1200's Pitch Correction effect? See pages 131 to 141 of the BR-1200 manual, 6th edition. It might be cool to try the Harmony Sequence effect to add some backing vocals on the chorus too.

Hey, BB The song is awesome - I was thinking on the same wavelenght as 64, but I would add another vocal (keep what you have) and have the second vocals follow you with a bit more grit/raspy sound to it to be close to the gain in the guitar (can adjust volume as two layers), and have the two vocals right on with the other instrumentation.

Bluesberry

Quote from: Diego Ayala on July 10, 2009, 07:27:42 AMHey, BB The song is awesome - I was thinking on the same wavelenght as 64, but I would add another vocal (keep what you have) and have the second vocals follow you with a bit more grit/raspy sound to it to be close to the gain in the guitar (can adjust volume as two layers), and have the two vocals right on with the other instrumentation.
Thank you Diego, that is what I love about this site, great advice like this.  I will play around with this idea for sure.  Thank you for that.  I am always looking for ways to improve my vocals, and I am getting there slowly but surely.  Thanks for posting.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SteveB

BB - Well, I've finally got around to listening to something else from my soon-to-be Home Thread. From here on in I'll be Mastering my stuff on the 1200, and so I'll post it here.
Right, where to begin? Well, by my estimation you've probably had your 1200 for a couple of months now? I've had mine for over 2-YEARS, and I've still got nothing on it to match this!!  :'(  Good Lord, Man, there's so much going on, it's relentless. BB, you haven't got a problem, just an excess of ideas! Rich tones from synth and guitar, a Bass pattern that's obviously been worked on, credible drums, clear lyrics that speak of all our daily grind. It's got the lot. A weakness? The voice needs thickening/layering. (Hey, BB, if there's ONE thing I DO know about it's how to try and help put across the voice-box that doesn't belong to Art Garfunkel et al). Copy your vocal to another track, add reverb or whatever, and don't forget the pitch-correction and harmony function for future reference. I would leave this as it is, because everything gels. But as you become more confident in your writing & production, there's a whole host of goodies to explore on the 1200. I'm downloading this to my BR-MP3 folder. Well done, BB.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bluesberry

Great comments Steve.  Big time thanks for the vocal tip, I am collecting all these tips and will play with them for sure on the next recording.  This was the first thing I did with the new toy, so it is bursting with ideas (as you say), I was bursting with excitement with my new toy.  Thanks for giving one of my songs a listen Steve.  I appreciate the vocal tip big time.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Facemask93

BB BBloody BBeautiful , great song ,great melody , specialy great guitar
well done mate , do you prefer the 1200 to the Mbr , or is it just to add more possibilities to you recording process , oh yes , how much do they cost over the pond

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Bluesberry

Quote from: facemask93 on August 01, 2009, 09:25:38 AMBB BBloody BBeautiful , great song ,great melody , specialy great guitar
well done mate , do you prefer the 1200 to the Mbr , or is it just to add more possibilities to you recording process , oh yes , how much do they cost over the pond

Rob
Thanks Rob, you can do everything on a micro that you can do on these bigger machines, it is just easier if you get up past about 8 tracks, on my 1200 I can have 8 tracks lined up end to end and mix them at one time, it makes it real easy to hear what you are doing.  Plus each track has dedicated  EQ, comp, reverb, delay so it is real nice for tweaking until it sounds just right.  It is easier to make it sound just right on the 1200.  Having said all that I still use my micro alot, but I use it for easier/less complex songs like all acoustic stuff, my covers (Woodstockfest and Neil fest were all microBR) and the last one "Ballad of microBR..." that was micro because I find for quick inspiration, bang something out in 2 days the micro can't be beat.  For songs like these that I tinker with for a month the 1200 is the only way to go.  For me both are an essential part of my home studio, I couldn't live without either.  The 1200 cost me just over $1000 Canadian, and I couldn't be happier with it, it has allowed me to stretch out, it is like having a full studio in one box. 

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

It's a pity I can't bump this on the MBR board becase I thnk more folks need to hear this. We hear lots of great stuff from Bluesberry on the MBR board but as he says, his more complex stuff is over here and this is my favourite Bluesberry piece of all time. I think the lyrics are very strong and the overall atmosphere is just fantastic. I just love this line: "If we really listen, the only sound that we will hear, Is our own reflection in the mirror.".

Enjoying this one all over again, didn't have it on my mp3 player but I do now!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Blooby

I'm just amazed at how full sounding that little Kaossilator sounds. 

I like the arrangement here, and the guitar solo has great tone (and well played).  You have a couple note choices in there I really liked.

Blooby