To introduce myself…

Started by hooper, March 06, 2008, 07:36:57 AM

hooper

Have been addicted to rock and roll and Rock music for over 40 years.... was 11 years old when the Beatles hit and that did it.  Spent the teen years growing up in a very active music scene in major city in North Carolina where garage bands were as common as pimples on a mug shot.  Have been doing home recording, including internet collaborations for about the last 10 years.

Glenn_M (of this forum) introduced me to the Micro BR a few months ago and given my low resistance to G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)  it wasn't long before I had to have one.  I like working with the BR because it forces (or enables) me to simplify things and get back to basics.  I'm a jack-of-all-trades, master of none.... Playing guitars, bass, drums and keyboards and vocals.  Besides using the BR as a practice tool and sketch pad for new ideas, I also sometimes use it to start making tracks that are then moved to Sonar for editing and mixing.  Can also see just using the BR as a funny-looking channel strip while recording straight into Sonar.  And since my ears are too far gone for any real Mastering work I find the mastering pre-sets on the BR very useful.

Looking forward to learning and sharing here!

Hoop
 8)

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Oldrottenhead

welcome aboard looking forward to hearing some posts from you.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Glenn Mitchell

Hey Ken, Glad to see you found this forum.
A nice bunch of folks and great to have an active forum on this device.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Pedro

Hello there and welcome Hoop!

You state that you like the BR because it enables you go to back to basics. I've been thinking about this question myself so I want to ask you how much tracks do you usually record on a complete and finished song? 8, 16 or more?

Also, do you use the BR to record all those instruments you play?

Once again, welcome!

guitarron

Welcome
I also use Sonar, I love vst instruments-I'll use Sonar if i run out of tracks-I bought the BR as a field type recorder initially.
I like the simplicity of turn it on and record- PC's, are useful,but can be a musical buzz kill-and are sometimes uninspiring -to be sitting in front of screen.
I used use SEMPTE time code back in day to sync keyboards to Cakewalk-that was before they could record audio-i used the PC as a sequencer and SEMPTE striped a track on my DA88-that actually worked well-
They maintenance upkeep on a DA 88 is astronomical, do i moth balled it.
Anyway-welcome aboard

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

hooper

Thanks for the welcome guys and glad to be here. There sure seems to be a diversity and depth of backgrounds...

Admin- to answer your question: Most of my projects tend to be 8 tracks or less.  16-18 tracks would be the most I've ever done. As you know, with more tracks it takes a LOT more planning and arranging or else you just add up with sonic mud and I think avoiding that becomes the most track-limiting factor.  Although I've been experimenting lately with tracking in stereo.... it eats up the tracks twice as fast but effects sound 10x better.

I've been having fun playing guitar, just sketching really, using a POD (which has stereo output) as a direct-in box and recording in stereo to the BR.  Have soldered up some patch cords for that or can also feed stereo output from the synth (Sonic Synth, a VST soft synth) to the BR. 

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE