the mountain song music by geir lyrics by orh

Started by Oldrottenhead, May 01, 2009, 02:17:25 AM

Oldrottenhead

the mountain song with vox
Time:
0:00
Volume:
FolkFest (banner image missing)

geir posted an instrumental tune called the mountain song here https://songcrafters.org/community/micro-br-b65/instrumental-%27the-mountain-song%27/0/ and asked for lyrics.

i heard the tune and was blown away. earlier in the day greeny had replied to a post of mine re his "the prisoner" cut up which brought back fond memories of my late father and he suggested i write about that, so the lyrics for this came pretty quickly. my father was a great fisherman/angler he died quite tragically at 40 years of age doing just that. so here are the lyrics hope you dont find them too trite.

The Mountain Song

When I was younger
You'd take me to the hills
Around the lochside
We'd cast our rods until
The fish stopped biting
Or all our bait ran dry
I will remember
Until the day I die

Take me to the mountainside
And lay me down
We can see forever from
The higher ground

And now I'm older
You are no longer here
I have what was yours
Your tackle and your gear
My child beside me
A twinkle in my eye
I will remember
Until the day I die

And lay me down
We can see forever from
The higher ground

When I was younger
You'd take me to the hills
Around the lochside
We'd cast our rods until
The fish stopped biting
Or all our bait ran dry
I will remember
Until the day I die

And lay me down
We can see forever from
The higher ground
and here's the song

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Wow. This gets inside your head and under your skin. It's one of your best lyrics, ORH, and you sing it superbly. Believe me, there's NOTHING trite about what you've written here. It's poignant yet understated... a thing of real emotional beauty. And Geir has pulled off the incredible skill of writing a folk song that sounds like it's been around for two hundred years. The playing and tone are just wonderful. I can't praise you two fellas enough for this - it's just outstanding in every respect. I could go on... and on... and on....  :)

Geir

A*M*A*Z*I*N*G  !!!!!

I may be a sappy old chap, but this one literally brought tears to my eyes!! That was EXACTLY what this tune needed !!! The lyrics are wonderful, and the emotion in the singing is so .... (I'm outta words here) ...

I was hoping that James would be able to make something decent or even funny out of this, but this is far beyond what I'd dreamed of !!!!

THANK YOU !!!!!!

Geir
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

thanks for your kind words guys, geir it is a pleasure for me to write for such beautiful inspiring music. the words for this song came easily because the music was so inspiring . there are times when i hear a tune and the lyrics write themself this is such an occasion.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

EFFING GREAT! I got a tingle on the back of my neck just reading the lyrics. OK, it's not "alternative", but it's straight from the heart. Perhaps it got to me because I'm a dad like you, but who cares. Definitely NOT trite - it's a real lyricist that can get such emotion into a what appears to be a "straightforward" set of vocals. There's real depth there. Lovely work guys.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Wiley

Absolutely beautiful!!!.  Wow you guys what a wonderful collaboration. It just gives one chills. ORH  you hit this song on the head. What wonderful lyrics to go with Geirs song.  JUst WOW

launched

Beautiful!! It's amazing how something this great could be put together over the wire. I am blown away!

Obviously, both of you are extremely talented - when combined together, absolute dynamite!

Super post! :D

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Flash Harry

With you two guys involved it always was going to be something special. Its really very special.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Satchwood

Great lyrics to an already cool tune!  What a match!  Very Nice Collab!

It definitely brings back some childhood memories...fishing with my brothers and friends in the many Pennsylvania creeks...and then fossil hunting up in the mountains of PA near the green-diamond swimming hole (old mine shaft).

...nothing like a trip down memory-lane!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)