Suggestions & Ideas you have for the Community

Started by Pedro, December 28, 2007, 08:26:19 PM

Bluesberry

Quote from: osckilo on June 30, 2009, 06:14:44 AMIf a merger was to happen There may be a noticable difference in recording quality between songs, but mention to what platform was used will allow for a point of reference to base reviews.......
I don't think you would see a difference in quality because of what machine was used, just look at what AndyR comes up with completley with a microBR.  The machines are all very much the same, the difference lies in the bells and whistles that allow the process of recording to go a little easier on the other machines, but you can do the same quality on a micro as you can on a BR-1200, it just takes more time  and patience.  Lets put all Boss recorders into the same area, just state in the post which machine it was made on.  I mean there always were a lot of folks that used a combination of microBR and DAW anyway, so it was never clear that the posts in the microBR section were done entirely on the micro.  I have a microBR and BR-1200 myself and use both in my recordings, sometimes both on the same recording.  Its all Boss machines, that is the important part of posting on here.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

A Note of caution...I think we all agree we need to do something but please bear in mind that this is haven where the technically and musically inept (which I consider I am) feel we are growing in both technical knowledge and musical skill...After all not everybody has been in a band or has years of studio experience...
I would hate any format that made anybody not feel good enough for this wonderful place.........I'll get my coat! ;D ;D

SteveB

Quote from: 48 on June 30, 2009, 06:38:56 AMA Note of caution..this is haven where the technically and musically inept (which I consider I am) feel we are growing in both technical knowledge and musical skill...After all not everybody has been in a band or has years of studio experience...
I would hate any format that made anybody not feel good enough for this wonderful place.

I'm a Newbie, but I concur with the above. It's hard enough trying to locate a site like this in the first place.
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR

https://soundcloud.com/stevebon

Bluesberry

Quote from: Ferryman_1957 on June 30, 2009, 03:59:59 AMSo I would not be in favour of splitting instrumentals from non-insturmental originals. Makes it too complicated IMO and people will forget what goes where.
My take on this is that there should be a thread for all the instrumentals, backing track lead-over challenges, works-in-progress without lyrics yet, Blooby style free-form jams, etc.  Instrumentals would be a large and popular thread on its own.  This way when we get into one of our backing track lead over challenges, all the recent posts will be at the top of the instrumental thread where we can all find them and they wont get lost quickly.  As someone who loves instrumentals and these backing track lead overs, I like the idea of a separate thread for instrumentals.  Instrumentals are a different beast than original songs with lyrics.  This way we have a home for each type of thing.  IMO having instrumentals as a unique thread does not alienate instrumentas, just the opposite, it celebrates them and makes it easier to find the latest instrumentals.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

Poor Pedro we are agreeing to disagree or vice versa........ ;D ;D
I'm totally lost  ::)
are we classing backing track stuff as Originals or Covers? ???

Pine

Alot of real good ideas in these last posts. For what it's worth, i am in favor of sticking with BR's as much as possible. I may be wrong, but i bet all you MBR guys who were here initially at times feel like your cool site has been gate crashed already...and i can see why. This site is alot of fun...but if it opens up to anybody with any DAW, you may be in for a flood of folks and threads will be evrywhere. I agree totally with BB about instrumentals. Different beasts and deserving of a unique category. I also like abandoning the child boards...all BR MP3 posts in one place. I miss alot and one thing i don't want to miss is new songs from members. There are plenty of great sites for other non-Boss home recordists. Keeping this at least manufacturer specific will help us all the most technically, and i think that's what brought most of us here to begin with. My two cents.
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Bosko Schwartz

First, let me thank everyone who responded after I re-visted this topic.  I really appreciate the support. ;D

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 30, 2009, 06:23:08 AM
Quote from: osckilo on June 30, 2009, 06:14:44 AMIf a merger was to happen There may be a noticable difference in recording quality between songs, but mention to what platform was used will allow for a point of reference to base reviews.......
I don't think you would see a difference in quality because of what machine was used ...

I totally agree with BB.  I am utterly amazed at what can be done with the MBR; take Greeny's work, for example.  It sounds like it was done in a professional 32-track studio.  I have not had the pleasure of hearing anything by Andy yet, but I am about to check his stuff out due to what BB said.  The only difference in quality will come from everyone's different levels of expertise, which we already see on a daily basis anyway.  Which brings me to ...

Quote from: 48 on June 30, 2009, 06:38:56 AMA Note of caution...I think we all agree we need to do something but please bear in mind that this is a haven where the technically and musically inept (which I consider I am) feel we are growing in both technical knowledge and musical skill...After all not everybody has been in a band or has years of studio experience...
I would hate any format that made anybody not feel good enough for this wonderful place.........I'll get my coat! ;D ;D

I am not sure what you're suggesting here, 48.  The format as it is now already displays varying degrees of technical skill in both musicianship and production, so I am not sure how merging the boards will make it any different.  If I were to let it get to me, I would easily feel incredibly inept when listening to some of the ridiculous guitar talents of yourself, launched, Blooby, Satchwood, indierik, Osckilo, etc. (don't mean to leave anyone out, but you get the idea), but I choose to look at it as more inspirational and motivational for me to try and one day get to that point in my abilities, rather than to feel sorry for myself because I am not as good.  This board never has been a competition; it is a means of support.  NO ONE in here is a professional musician.  NO ONE here is making a good living solely on music.  So we are all equals in that respect, if nothing else.  If I am incorrect about any of this, someone please let me know.  Everyone here has something different to offer, and I think everyone is also still growing as a musician -- I know I am.  You only stop learning when you're in the coffin. 8) ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Ferryman

I'm fairly relaxed about the structure of the boards re mp3s, instrumentals, collabs. However, two things I would really like to see:

- bring together all the BR boards in each category so that we do not restrict the non-MBR boards to limited readership

- keep the main boards focused on BR users. I think 48's point was that most of the people that come to this site do so because of the MBR, and folks that start with an MBR are less likely to be experienced in the ways of recording. They are less likely to have sophsiticated home studios, so if the forum is populated with folks that are talking the DAW language it may well scare them off. The higher end BRs share a lot of common principles with the MBR so there is shared ground among all BR users, but I would be wary of too much non-BR content. There are already lots of good forums out there for that.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on June 30, 2009, 12:44:48 PM
Quote from: 48 on June 30, 2009, 06:38:56 AMA Note of caution...I think we all agree we need to do something but please bear in mind that this is a haven where the technically and musically inept (which I consider I am) feel we are growing in both technical knowledge and musical skill...After all not everybody has been in a band or has years of studio experience...

I am not sure what you're suggesting here, 48. 

Bosko All I'm saying is we have a great balance of technical and musical abilities on this site and whatever reformatting should try and maintain this balance.
Also I personally am not feeling sorry for myself and gain Inspiration from all the music on this site..............

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: 48 on July 01, 2009, 05:20:13 AMBosko All I'm saying is we have a great balance of technical and musical abilities on this site and whatever reformatting should try and maintain this balance.
Also I personally am not feeling sorry for myself and gain Inspiration from all the music on this site..............

I didn't mean to say that you personally were feeling sorry for yourself, so sorry if that came out wrong.  I just think that there are already so many different degrees of talents and skills in this forum, so how could merging the boards change that???
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels