Suggestions & Ideas you have for the Community

Started by Pedro, December 28, 2007, 08:26:19 PM

Bosko Schwartz

So whatever happened to the possibility of combining the existing MP3 boards?  After thinking about it a bit, I think these 3 rooms would just about cover everything (I don't think we need a separate page for recordings done on non-Boss equipment -- this is a Boss site):

1. Original Songs
2. Cover Songs
3. Collaborations (just as it is now)

All three would be for MP3s that were recorded on any Boss recorder, doesn't matter which.

Is this ever going to happen, 64G?  Pedro?
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bluesberry

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on June 29, 2009, 11:35:36 AMSo whatever happened to the possibility of combining the existing MP3 boards?  After thinking about it a bit, I think these 3 rooms would just about cover everything (I don't think we need a separate page for recordings done on non-Boss equipment -- this is a Boss site):

1. Original Songs
2. Cover Songs
3. Collaborations (just as it is now)

All three would be for MP3s that were recorded on any Boss recorder, doesn't matter which.

Is this ever going to happen, 64G?  Pedro?
I am with you Bosko, I agree this would be a better way to lay it out.    I would add one more:
4. Instrumentals (originals and backing track lead-overs).

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

launched

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 29, 2009, 07:59:48 PMI am with you Bosko, I agree this would be a better way to lay it out.    I would add one more:
4. Instrumentals (originals and backing track lead-overs).

I agree - BB, you brought up a big point - everything leads to vocals - I love instrumentals and listen to them daily (In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, etc.).

In this forum, I've noticed some excellent musicians coming out of their vocal shell, and I absolutely love it. A big handful in only a few weeks. In My Humble Opinion, that is one of the best treats I've seen out of this forum - helping people build vocal guts.

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Is any segregation necessary at all? Why not just have one "Post Your MP3" board? In it, members could post any song they've recorded, be it an original, a cover, a collaboration, an instrumental, or whatever, and regardless of which machine was used to record it. We would encourage all posters to declare in the message subject or body certain fundamental details about the song such as Original, Cover, Collab, Instrumental, which recorder was used, etc.

One thing I'm not sure about is restricting postings to only songs that were recorded with Boss equipment, especially for collaborations. What difference does it make which recorder was used, as long as it's identified in the message? And what about software DAWs? I don't see any reason to exclude them. The site is BossBR.net, so I don't think it's likely to attract a lot of users of non-Boss equipment anyway.

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on June 29, 2009, 11:35:36 AMIs this ever going to happen, 64G?  Pedro?

It's Pedro's decision, not mine.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 29, 2009, 09:44:38 PMOne thing I'm not sure about is restricting postings to only songs that were recorded with Boss equipment, especially for collaborations. What difference does it make which recorder was used, as long as it's identified in the message? And what about software DAWs? I don't see any reason to exclude them. The site is BossBR.net, so I don't think it's likely to attract a lot of users of non-Boss equipment anyway.

Coming from a less than amateur, ok:

I, for one, am extremely interested in what is used to produce an arrangement. I know great music can be created with this and that, but in my opinion, and many other's, the MBR is an instrument of art. I understand some have upgraded to bigger and better, but as far as I know, they still respect the Silver Brick and post appropriately when using it.

I joined this site because it was an MBR site, and then all of a sudden  a week later the world changed. However, I love looking into the other BR products when I can, but time is of the essence when dealing with posts regarding Pro Tools, Cubase, Cakewalk or Audacity.

Again, vocal training applied with a BR product would be huge... One of the biggest things I've seen here.

I try to stay off the grid, but I think I just put myself on it  ;D

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Ferryman

I think Bosko's categories are ideal. We should definitely put all the mp3s together as long a folks say which BR they used to create them. There are so many talented people here that all the various recorders should be mixed together, otherwise the MBR section gets all the traffic. We definitely need to split collaborations from finished work to make it easy to find stuff that folks want help on. Most people now post the finished collab stuff under mp3s rather than in the collabs section, which makes sense. I'd vote for splitting originals from covers, because if I have limited time (which I do), I would much rather listen to original work than covers. I class people playing solo over backers as original work because each individual creates their own style. So I would not be in favour of splitting instrumentals from non-insturmental originals. Makes it too complicated IMO and people will forget what goes where.

I defintely think we should split BR stuff from stuff that was created on DAW and other equipmment where the BR was marginal. There are plenty of general forums on the internet for that, and the reality is most folks here will be MBR users that might well migrate to other BR boxes, so their attitude will be somewhat different to folks that already use a lot of other recording equipment. I think that's the unique value of this site - there is a shared reason why the majority of us ended up here and that makes it very different from some of the other sites out there.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 29, 2009, 09:44:38 PMIs any segregation necessary at all? Why not just have one "Post Your MP3" board? In it, members could post any song they've recorded, be it an original, a cover, a collaboration, an instrumental, or whatever, and regardless of which machine was used to record it. We would encourage all posters to declare in the message subject or body certain fundamental details about the song such as Original, Cover, Collab, Instrumental, which recorder was used, etc.

One thing I'm not sure about is restricting postings to only songs that were recorded with Boss equipment, especially for collaborations. What difference does it make which recorder was used, as long as it's identified in the message? And what about software DAWs? I don't see any reason to exclude them. The site is BossBR.net, so I don't think it's likely to attract a lot of users of non-Boss equipment anyway.

I hear what you're saying, 64G, but for all of the reasons Ferryman eloquently listed, I tend to be more in favor of at least a few splits.  But any sort of big merger is going to be revolutionary compared to how it is now.  Perhaps it's not cool to exclude non-Boss equip. altogether, so I guess as long as people say which type of recorder they used (or software if on a PC or Mac), that's fine.

I think everyone -- or at least everyone who has bothered to post about this subject -- is in agreement that there needs to be some kind of merger between boards, but Pedro -- the only one with any power to do anything about it -- has not chimed in on this.  Where are you, Pedro?  I think we all want to hear your thoughts.

I think we should put it to a vote for about 3 or 4 different options, one of them being to leave it exactly as is.  The consensus wins.  Simple as that.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Greeny

Well said, Nigel. And I also agree with Bosco's three category suggestions. I think the cover / original split is a very good idea, and like you, don't see a need to hive off instrumentals. It would certainly make a much more inclusive community if everything appeared together on the same Boss 'stage'.

Oh... just saw your response, Boscko. I'll set up a vote...  :)

OsCKilO

I think the Bosko merger will be a good idea.....

It would be great to be able to have everyone in the same place....

I find it hard to find people from BR600 onwards a and miss out on thier posts...

If a merger was to happen There may be a noticable difference in recording quality between songs, but mention to what platform was used will allow for a point of reference to base reviews.......
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy