Suggestions & Ideas you have for the Community

Started by Pedro, December 28, 2007, 08:26:19 PM

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Blooby on May 19, 2009, 06:43:30 PMI'd also like to see a separate section of recordings with backers.  I'd be curious how others feel, but unless something is heavily modified, almost beyond the point of recognition, I personally have little interest when folks play over prerecorded backing tracks. 
Blooby

This has really upset me >:(.....You are implying that those of us that use backers to enhance our music are to be segregated from everybody else in our own musically-challenged area.....

I can play Basic Bass and I can play rhythm guitar but choose to use interesting backers to show my passion which is "Electric Blues Lead Guitar" what is wrong with that?
 I never imply that I created the whole song in fact I usually share the backer.......and anyway what constitutes a backer? Is it Drums, Drums and Bass or Drum Bass and Rhythm...If it's drums there would be nobody left in the Main post your work section...except live bands! ;D

This site is my only contact with other musicians so it's the only chance I get to share stuff........

If the rest of the community agrees with the sentiments above then I am in the wrong place altogether...... :-\

A very sad 48 aka Mike >:(

Blooby

Quote from: 48 on May 20, 2009, 03:57:30 AM1) You are implying that those of us that use backers to enhance our music are to be segregated from everybody else in our own musically-challenged area.....

2) Anyway what constitutes a backer? Is it Drums, Drums and Bass or Drum Bass and Rhythm...If it's drums there would be nobody left in the Main post your work section...except live bands! ;D

Response to 1)  I certainly meant no disrespect.  The last comment in my original post lauded the playing/singing of many posts with backers (including yours, 48).   And I never suggested that these recordings don't have a home here.  I suppose I have been frustrated because at times, I would have questions about production or specific musical parts only to find out after the fact that the recording was done with a backer.  If matters were clear in the title (as some do), at least folks would have the option to take a gander. 

Please also notice I wanted to "segregate" (many posts of) myself as well with a separate section for live duet/band offerings.  I stand by my original comment that many here are interested in exploiting the capabilities of the BR family and songcraft (including production ideas...something I'm especially keen on).

Response to 2)  I immediately got defensive and thought about how drums and sequences usually need to be programmed, but instead, I'll just say,  "Hmmm, good point."

Once again, no disrespect.  As a matter of course, I have nothing but the highest respect for anybody who puts themselves out there by posting a performance of his or her playing/singing.

As always...peace.

Blooby

Geir

I'd agree with 48 on the backer issue, It would anyway be very difficult to define what's a backer and what's not.

That said, with the abundance of great bass-players here now it would be great if we could produce our own backers (like Nigel and PJ and others have done).  One of the great pleasures of this site is the collaborations and I for one think it's much more fun to say "the bassplayer on this new song I play guitar on is from Iowa and the singer from UK" than "I played this over a backer".

cheers
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

Quote from: 48 on May 20, 2009, 03:57:30 AMIf the rest of the community agrees with the sentiments above then I am in the wrong place altogether…… :-\

A very sad 48 aka Mike >:(
Hey Mike, I for one love the backers and backer lead-over challenges that we have done in the past.  This is a great part of this site for me, it has helped me to improve my guitar skills a whole lot, I love listening to all the diffferent takes, it brought a ton of commradrie to this place.  Don't worry, I love hearing a great guitar player (such as yourself), wailing away over a backer.  Keep em comming.  There is room for the backer lead over posts on here.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Bluesberry on May 20, 2009, 05:53:15 AMHey Mike, I for one love the backers and backer lead-over challenges that we have done in the past.  This is a great part of this site for me, it has helped me to improve my guitar skills a whole lot, I love listening to all the diffferent takes, it brought a ton of commradrie to this place.  Don't worry, I love hearing a great guitar player (such as yourself), wailing away over a backer.  Keep em comming.  There is room for the backer lead over posts on here.
Thanks Bb ;)

I'm still not happy..........the implication is still there ie programmed drums are acceptable and carefully selected backers are not......

My new Goldtop arrived this morning and I was looking forward to showcasing the sound over a backer but this has taken the shine off it :(

Maybe I'm being over sensitive but I feel that if I play with a backer (that is not generated by BR members) its in someway "sub-standard"..........

I just wish that this subject had not been raised.......

Greeny

Personally, I don't think it wouldn't be in the spirit of this place to start segregating 'backer' songs - i.e. sending them to some kind of 'leper colony' thread, lol. If that starts happening, where does it end? Do cover versions get their own thread too? And what about computer-created songs that are constructed from loops and sequences with minimal 'songwriting' talent?

As someone who creates whole songs, collaborates in a virtual band, sings over backers, and sings over other original creations, I make absolutely NO distinction between them, because they're all just ways of making and enjoying music to me. Whether I've had a major or minor hand in them, I've been involved and helped shape them, so that's all that counts.

We have diverse talents on here. I'll never be able to take a backer (like 48 and Bluesberry...) and rip some juicy, bluesy lead up over it.

I really respect the talent it takes to play to that level, so I have no issues with hearing songs played over backers when the person has invested their imagination and passion into them. It's still a (very) creative process when it's done right.

Of course, collaborations are better, but we have to work with what we've got... !

Just my two-cents....

Greeny

Quote from: 48 on May 20, 2009, 06:06:27 AMMy new Goldtop arrived this morning and I was looking forward to showcasing the sound over a backer but this has taken the shine off it :(

Give those P-90's a thrashing and post it!!!!!

Bluesberry

P-90's, I just realized what you typed there MIke!!!!  I am dying to hear P-90 played by a bluesman.  Please post!!!  Ger a backer, plug in, let rip, post that bad boy!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

Quote from: 48 on May 20, 2009, 06:06:27 AMI'm still not happy..........the implication is still there ie programmed drums are acceptable and carefully selected backers are not......

My new Goldtop arrived this morning and I was looking forward to showcasing the sound over a backer but this has taken the shine off it :(

Maybe I'm being over sensitive but I feel that if I play with a backer (that is not generated by BR members) its in someway "sub-standard"..........
Please don't let this stop you from playing and posting your great blues!! Many of the great posts you and others (myself included ... well great fun .. not great art in my case) have posted wouldn't have seen daylight if not for backers, and I for one are thankful that someone takes time to find and post those.

Now -  get your new Goldtop and turn that frustration into some mean blues !!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

The Reverend 48

Thanks Guys I appreciate your support ;)......... I have put my toys back in my pram...but still not happy..... :(
Blooby's comments coupled with the excellent and complicated work posted recently have really knocked my confidence... :-[
Now all I need to find is my mojo...... ;D
Don't worry you will hear me over the Weekend! :P