what do you consider to be the essential apps for ipad/iphones for songwriting.

Started by Oldrottenhead, November 01, 2016, 06:02:24 AM

Oldrottenhead

am pretty new to ipad and ios10, but consider garageband, essential. i also have thumbjam, tho i was expecting more from it, however still getting to grips with it. another app i find essential is notes. when i'm running through a new song trying to come up with a lyric, it's great for jotting down the stuff that works.

as i say i am new to ipads and i know there is a very long thread about apps, but what i want to know, which apps do you consider to be essential?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

ODH

I agree that GarageBand is essential, it's the hub of my recording. But on its own can be a little soulless.

Any other apps have to have inter-app audio to talk to GB.

Thumbjam is very good, has great sounds and does require a performance rather than just programming. But it does have a learning curve and I'm still on the foothills.

I have very few music apps beyond those two. I use DM-1 for my drums and wouldn't want to be without that. And a soft synth called Alchemy, which I don't think you can get anymore.

I'm also keen to hear what other apps people see as essential.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Hook

So I have a bunch of soft synths and drum apps on the cloud but here are the ones always on my ipad. 
GB of course but I use it more as a performance tool, instruments, then to record with. Thumbjam, drumjam, TC Performer, animoog (mines iphone), pano tuner and ultimate guitar tab & netflix.

There are some I have on the cloud and occasionally use them,
Sunrise synth, ambient synth has on cool wind sound,Georgia synth is cool, impaktor, korg ikaossilator, figure is fun, alchemy and there are some good "Companion" apps for guitar, mando, uke, etc.

Fruit Ninja is also cool!
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Blooby

I use Thumbjam for 90% of my synth needs, Animoog for atmospheric stuff, and iTabla for and tampoura/tanpura drones and tabla drums.

Really don't know what else is out there.

Blooby

Geir

oh where to start .......

Piano:  Korg module, CMP GrandPiano,  or sampletank's Alan Parson Imperial Grand (mind you they're all quite expensive). iGrand piano is also OK.

Organ: Gallileo !!!!!! ... and also Korg Module

"Analog" synth: Magellan is a brilliant synth that quite often comes at a bargain price it also has some nice effects that can be used from other apps vi Audiobus. Poison-202 is a newcomer that has a simple layout and sounds fab. Then there's the classics iMini, Model-15 and pretty much all of Korg's recreations of classics. .... and then there's Thor !!

.... please stop me !!!!!

And then we have Animoog !! I've recently rediscovered it and started making my own patches ...  brilliant !

.... sorry gotta go ... more later .... maybe more focused too ;D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Hook

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Oldrottenhead

i got myself drumjam, finding my way round it just now, but not that keen on the built in loops, tho i think once i get to grips with it and start building my own drum loops, it could open up lots of possibilities.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann