TASCAM DP-008EX (Does Anybody Have One?)

Started by launched, October 18, 2016, 04:51:08 AM

launched

I'm looking for a standalone battery powered recorder with analog knobs/sliders, metronome and tuner that is priced accordingly. I don't think I'd buy anything new that didn't have XLR inputs with phantom power either. A drum machine is not necessary - PC drums work fine for messing around, and there are plenty of awesome real drummers on this forum  :)

This unit looks really good and is only $159US:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tascam/DP-008EX-Digital-8-Track-Pocketstudio.gc

Does anyone own one or know of something better? The reviews are mostly positive...

Thanks,

Mark

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Hook

It was my main recorder for at least a year before I got the Br80 and it's a really great recorder if you don't need effects. It does have reverb and the mastering effects are very good but no guitar or bass effects built in. It's very easy to use and the mics are outstanding.

It does record in a proprietary format so when you want to export you have to convert the tracks on the machine before getting the wavs off the card. It can take 10min for a bunch of tracks, never bothered me.They've gotten rid of that on the DP24.

It has the 8 mono tracks and you can export them to wavs then bounce all 8 and start again. Not virtual tracks but it is a method to record an unlimited amount of tracks.

I really enjoyed mine, in fact I gave it to my kid so it's still here and I can pull it out to help you with any questions. The only reason I switched to the BR80 was for the built in effects, in fact outside of effects it might be a better machine...certainly for mixing it is.
Go for it brother Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

Oh yeah, that reverb sounds sweet, much better than boss.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

launched

Thanks bud, that's enough for me to pull the trigger! Should have checked to see if you had one, and now I see it in your signature. I don't think the wav conversion will bother me either as I usually record a couple tracks and export to the 'puter.

Thanks bro!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Oldrottenhead

Looking forward to what comes out the other end of your new box. As they say it should be
"Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on October 18, 2016, 10:13:11 AMLooking forward to what comes out the other end..."Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"

I have selective reading abilities.  This made me chuckle.

launched

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on October 18, 2016, 10:13:11 AMLooking forward to what comes out the other end of your new box. As they say it should be
"Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"

I feel at home now!  ;D
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Hook

Quote from: Blooby on October 18, 2016, 11:50:17 AM
Quote from: Oldrottenhead on October 18, 2016, 10:13:11 AMLooking forward to what comes out the other end..."Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"

I saw this when it was posted & wanted to ask "Where's Blooby?" but low and behold, I need not worry.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

launched

Quote from: Hook on October 18, 2016, 07:28:13 PM
Quote from: Blooby on October 18, 2016, 11:50:17 AM

I saw this when it was posted & wanted to ask "Where's Blooby?" but low and behold, I need not worry.

I just got it in the mail so we'll see what comes out the other end! BTW, the EX model has a couple extra features such as stereo wav export, mastering effects and input effects.

I love the knobs, we'll see whether that matters but so far I like knobs. Love them...
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover