"Be Your Rock"

Started by leighelse, October 02, 2016, 01:06:16 AM

leighelse

Leigh Harrison - Be Your Rock 20161007-lofi
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I wrote this in 2010, but haven't managed a satisfactory recording of it until now. There are a few things I'd still like to tweak, but I think I've captured the essence here.

6 Oct 2016 I've uploaded a revision which addresses several of the small issues that niggled at me when I listened to the original. It's not quite finished yet, but we're on the way (from misery to happiness, uh-huh ...).

7 Oct 2016 I think this might be the final version.

Be Your Rock
written and performed by Leigh Harrison © APRA 2010

When the clouds roll in and the darkness blocks your horizon
When the rain won't stop just to let the sun shine through
When the sky is black and the air is suffocation
When the world brings all its weight right down on you
Don't give up your dreams, don't be downhearted
Don't lose hope and don't accept defeat

I'll be your rock
I'll be your strength in times of trouble
I'll be your rock
I'll be your fortress in the battle
I'll be your rock rock rock rock

When the closest friends all deny they even know you
And when family is blind to what you're suffering
When each new day only trips you up and robs you
Trouble's at the door and asking to come in
Don't despair, don't let yourself be beaten
Don't retreat from what you've planned to do

I'll be your rock

INSTRUMENTAL

When you cannot see a future in the present
When all you can read is the writing on the wall
When there's nothing in your head that believes in your own heart
When everything you hear whispers  fear and ruin
Stand your ground, stand firm, tall, stand certain
Stand because you know you're not alone

I'll be your rock

I'll be your rock
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Johnny Robbo

Brilliant, Leigh! I love that Danny Federici-style Hammond organ (I'm a real sucker for that sound!). The whole song has a "modern-retro" vibe to it that I absolutely adore... the key change for the instrumental is a nice touch, too. As is the key change up for the final chorus. Excellent in every way!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

bruno

Wow - I love the production on this, it really jumps out at you. A real happy tune, I really enjoyed all the intricacies on this. Super track, will definitely give this quite a few listens.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Mike_S

Quote from: bruno on October 02, 2016, 06:10:27 AMA real happy tune, I really enjoyed all the intricacies on this. Super track, will definitely give this quite a few listens.
B

Excellent Leigh... definitely you have your own unique sound, which is of course what we all aspire to. The arrangement is superb, I like the quirky backing vocals and have to agree it has a kind of a retro but timeless feel also. Great work. :)
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Redler

I can hear some influences from the 80's. The keyboard and guitar additions sounds very good! Your voice remind of Kirsty McColl, imo!

Lovely harmonies!!

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Kenneth

Classy stuff Leigh!
Full production, really professionally done in all aspects.
Well done!
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Hook

Excellent tune, quirky and cool. Has a little David Byrne feel to it.
I dig.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Super 8

Very cool vibe to this Leigh - catchy too! Congrats, another winner :-)

Kenny B

Excellent song Leigh ... so well done and very catchy.  Great changes
and the backup vox are so good as is the lead.

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

leighelse

Thanks for everyone's kind comments.

Quote from: Johnny Robbo on October 02, 2016, 03:14:24 AMBrilliant, Leigh! I love that Danny Federici-style Hammond organ (I'm a real sucker for that sound!).

Me too, Johnny. I have an immediate, visceral response every time I hear it.

Quote from: Mike_S on October 02, 2016, 03:39:58 PMI like the quirky backing vocals

I confess I've de-quirked them a little in the latest version.

Quote from: Redler on October 02, 2016, 11:10:45 PMThe keyboard and guitar additions sounds very good!

I think the sax now sounds good too  :-X I played tenor in my teens, all those decades ago, and thought I could just pick up where I left off. Ahem. What was on the first mix was recorded in the two hours after I unwrapped my new alto saxophone. I couldn't keep working at it because I had blisters on my lips for the next four days! Thankfully I was able to get a hand (well, two hands and a pair of lungs) from a more proficient player. I'll keep on with the sax practice now the blisters have peeled, but I'll take it a little more quietly.

I should mention too, that this track was mastered using MasteringBOX. While it make a positive difference in some respects, to my ears the result is a little "harder" than I was getting with Masterlizer. I used MasteringBOX because Masterlizer has closed its beta site and is launching its full commercial service in three days time. I'll post prices in the appropriate forum when I have them.

Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.