"Beside Ourselves" a Hook original (1st on the DP24)

Started by Hook, September 26, 2016, 06:32:48 AM

Hook

Beside Ourselves
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Actually this is my 15th on the Dp24 but my 1st Hook song to be done entirely on that machine. All the guitars are my new 2002 Fender MIM Strat through the Blackstar ID Beam. The bass is my Ibanez Acoustic also through the Blackstar (I know, it handles bass too!) and the drums are my Roland Handsonic 10. I did the vocals with my Shure Beta58, straight into the board with just some reverb added. All recorded, mixed and mastered on the Tascam DP24. It really is a great board that can do way more than I currently know but I think my "last work project" is some of the best sounding stuff I've ever recorded. I'll try and write a review soon and here are some shots of my current studio set up.

3 Electric Guitar tracks (all stereo)
1 Bass (stereo)
1 Drums (stereo)
1 bass drum (stereo)
1 lead vocal
1 background vocal
Beside Ourselves
written & performed by Hook
Moderation in all things
Especially moderation
I think we should have a firm grip
On this slippery situation

Here we are
A little confused
Here we are
Beside ourselves

Control of ones self
might have no control
I think we should have at least
A small grasp of the obvious

Here we are
A little confused
Here we are
beside ourselves

Lost within that
part of me
That has no light

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Rolow

Good one Hook.  You've got a big, full, deep sound going here.  The economy of words (I like) works well with the mood you've set

I think it's hard to play a bass clean enough to be put out front like this, but you did it well.

Vox is good also.  All together a well done, creative song. 

Ron
Let it be known, there is a fountain, that was not made, by the hands of men.

kenny mac

This sounds so good,I'm thinking of getting the dp32 and this song is certainly selling it.
This sounds so chilled and relaxed.
Your vocal sounds great on it as well.
Nice one Hook.

Groundy

Brilliant Hook, so professional,
Your voice is spot on, and some great guitar work..
well done .....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

bruno

Chilled out brother - you have quite a studio there now! Very nice sounds with all that gear :-)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Oldrottenhead

big stereo panavision sound going on here, tres braw bro!

new guitar sounds fab too, feck everything sounds great, i am jealous of your gear and your skill.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Redler

Very laid back piece of music. Dp45? Must check it out! Professional recording and producing!

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on September 26, 2016, 12:15:29 PM.... i am jealous of your gear and your skill.

Agree with James!

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Speed Demon

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

leighelse

First thing - this is a great song, both conceptually and in execution. A lot of my best song ideas fall by the wayside because, although the idea is great, I can't finish writing it without straining metaphors and sounding pretentious. I think "Beside Ourselves" avoids these pitfalls.

Second thing - the session illustrates what a first rate player and singer you are, both technically adept and sensitive. I particularly like the guitar.

Other second thing (some people would call this "Third thing" but they're just showing off their advanced arithmetic skills) - the DP32 sounds great. I'm still having a largely-consensual love affair with my dual BR1600s, but maybe I could be happy cohabiting with a TASCAM in some future reality?

PS: Looking at your photographs I see you also blow. I've not heard that on any of your recordings yet - a treat in store?
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Super 8