"Else" Live in the Livingroom

Started by leighelse, September 22, 2016, 07:49:38 PM

leighelse

Leigh Harrison - Else live
Time:
0:00
Volume:
LitLR2 (banner image missing)

I wrote this song in 2004 and I'm used to playing it on a six string acoustic guitar. I couldn't get enough separation between the two mics I was using on this session to prevent the BR1600's SIMUL effects from fighting, so I picked up my electric instead. This wasn't entirely satisfactory either, as the strings and frets weren't quite where I expected them to be. Excuses excuses ...

I've since figured out that the simple solution would have been to turn off the BR1600's SIMUL effects. Next time!

So here is it, warts and all, Leigh live in the spare room/office/studio, performing "Else".

Else
written by Leigh Harrison, performed live, © APRA 2004

You have swum beneath my ocean
You have plumbed my deep blue sea
You have seen the wrecks and treasure chests
That chart my history.

Now if you could salvage all the men-o-war
That have sunk into these deeps
I wouldn't hear them whisper any more
In the rigging of my sleep.

Else I would be someone else

You have walked upon my water
And when you felt your footsteps sink
Pronounced me deep enough to drown in
But not deep enough to drink.

For I have angry currents in me
That have shipwrecked every boat
That ever dared these roiling reefs and rocks
With its nets of fraying hope.

Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Redler

Very melodic and beautiful! Your voice sounds so good and I like the tone of your guitar a lot! It's so mellow! The whistle part was a good idea!!

Well recorded live performance! I'm on the second listening...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Mach

This has a great vibe to it. The chorus has a nice hook and you sing it with vigor.
Guitar has a nice tone....really good song!

Mach
recorder
Pro Tools
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hook

Very cool song. You progression in the verse is very compelling and your melody and lyrics really ride the current well. The chorus is really catchy but I want an "else" at the begining of every line, kinda giving it the circular feel then after the last repeat you end the same way you did.
Not a critique but just what I hear in my head. I really dig your tune and it's an excellent performance
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Johnny Robbo

Beautiful song... your vocal performance is just perfect & I love the whistling :)
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

Mike_S

Powerful stuff! Lovely song, sang very well - with great passion (those are great lyrics too).
recorder
iPad GarageBand

leighelse

Quote from: Mike_S on September 25, 2016, 03:26:46 PMthose are great lyrics too

Thanks for your kind words, Mike. I personally think the lyrics for verse two are the best I've ever written. I had no idea there was such a deep well of profundity within me!

You have walked upon my water ...
    ... nets of fraying hope.

As we were discussing in another thread today (OK, what song have I ripped off??!), I'm increasingly aware of the work the subconscious does in the process of crafting songs. I could not have consciously created the verse two lyrics, and felt some awe when they flowed out onto the paper in front of me.
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Super 8

Very nice Leigh! That's a cool song & confident performance. Where can I hear the full 'bells'n'whistles' production?

Rolow

The lyrics are very visual, I like that.  I also think the SIMUL patch works well.  As usual, your playing and singing are clean and excellent.  Nice hook in the chorus.

QuoteAs we were discussing in another thread today (OK, what song have I ripped off??!), I'm increasingly aware of the work the subconscious does in the process of crafting songs. I could not have consciously created the verse two lyrics, and felt some awe when they flowed out onto the paper in front of me.

You're so lucky.  This never happens for me.  I scrape and dig for every syllable.

Ron
Let it be known, there is a fountain, that was not made, by the hands of men.

kenny mac

Great song,excellent lyrics .
The recording as well is crisp and clear.
An all round great performance,well done