"I like The Beatles!"

Started by Super 8, August 11, 2016, 02:28:32 AM

Super 8

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

It's true, I like The Beatles!

launched

Wow, I love this tune! Psychedelic Pop Beach Beatles if you want my opinion, I'm going to listen to this quite a bit. Something I would never have the talent to do.

Wicked good!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Groundy

Brilliant,Great sound, So-Pro.
Well done.....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Super 8

Thanks guys (and cheers for the production credit Groundy!) Fundamentally I consider myself as more of 'a writer' but have been attempting to up my game of late & focus more on trying to understand the mixing/production side of things - it doesn't come that naturally I have to admit and, as such, it takes me an age to finish anything! (That said, this one was recorded , mixed & 'produced' to a deadline and took me ten hours from start to finish so progress of sorts.) I used some 'new to me' drum software called EZ Drummer for the first time which certainly helped speed things up on the rhythmic front. That said, it's pretty much a static beat with a few tweaks which, if I'd of had more time, I would have explored further. Give me a 'real' (good!) drummer playing a well mic'd up, decent kit any day over drum machines/software emulations but "Hey!" you've just gotta keep chipping away, working with what's at your disposal until maybe one day you can get to where you wanna be (which, for me, would be a sort of all-analogue Toe Rag Studios kinda set up ideally! "Ahh!" One can but dream!)  

Oldrottenhead

very cool, your take as well as the beatles has a "The Dukes of Stratosphear" vibe going on especially that ending. your friends version a lot more traditional but also very cool too.

two songs for the price of one magic.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Kenneth

"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Blooby

There have been some wonderfully retro songs posted lately, and this one is just phenomenal. Great work on performing, and the production as well. The reversed bits are great, the crowds, and the dynamics are great, but the star is the background vocals to me. Super impressive. I dug the lyrics as well. I will definitely be back for another listen.

Loved this.

Blooby

Super 8

You is too kind Blooby! Thanks, Man. I see this song as 'a springboard' to another song. As I stated, this 'Blue Day' song in question is my interpretation of a fellow songwriting friend's song (I included his original as a comment directly below my original song post here if you wanna check that out too). The reason my version is quite considerably different to the original (with that alternative chorus and all that extra Beatlesy-bit 'nonsense' that I included mid-way through is because .... I wasn't at all familiar with the song when I covered it (in fact, I'd only heard it twice!) I guess that's why it's come out sounding more like one of my songs (even though Richard of course retains full copyright on it).

A pleasant surprise is that I have been able to put together a brand new song off the back of this one = "YAY!" Let me try to explain ... There's a section of the chord progression in my alternative chorus that got stuck in my head. (As you can hear, Richard's chorus has a descending progression in a Minor key whereas I decided to go for a Major lift instead). If you listen closely the last part of 'my' chorus-y bit (underneath where I sing: 'Come with me, come with me') contains an unexpected 'happy accident' bit of guitar interplay between the forwards & backwards guitar parts. This became a bit of an earworm for me post-recording session so, yesterday I re-visited the project, pulled up the component parts, stripped out the vocals in this section then looped said earworm (eight times!)

To cut a long session short what I have now is a 2-bar riff that has somehow metamorphasised into a full song that soounds like some sort White Album out-take experiment (working title: 'What's On Your Mind?') I appear to have spawned a monster with this one!  I shall endeavour to post the results when I am done with it. Thanks again for your kind words & encouragement. CHEERS! ;-)         

leighelse

... I'd be extremely puzzled trying to determine which sixties/seventies band it was. Based on the production I'd probably decide it was from the seventies at least, although the song itself is timeless.

Whether you enjoy production or not, you have a natural knack. This is fresh, happy, summer fun in one of its most universal guises. Great singing too.
Dueling BR1600s. Beats banjos.

Super 8

Thank you Leighelse, you're too kind! I note you record wioth a BR1600. I did an 'in the box' entire album with one of those - great units! This song was done on a computer but for my next project I plan to take a trip back in time to where I first started out with recording and dig out an old tape-based portastudio. Should be fun! I'll keep you posted. Take care ;-)