New gizmo - Apologies to Hook in advance

Started by Blooby, July 25, 2016, 09:46:51 AM

Hook

Man...what are you doing to me! That's a pretty cool, travel sized, magic box.
Arrrrrttgh!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

Quote from: Hook on July 25, 2016, 11:26:14 AMMan...what are you doing to me! That's a pretty cool, travel sized, magic box.
Arrrrrttgh!
Don't listen to Blooby, you need one of these ....

recorder
Boss BR-1600

cuthbert

Wow, that Organelle looks pretty darn cool. Ouch on the price tag, though :(  

On the other hand it does seem to do quite a bit, considering! :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Hook

I do need one of those bruno!

I missed the price cuthbery , how much is it?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

$495 new - not outrageous, but more than I expected.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Blooby

If I got one, I would also have to spring for a shag carpet and a bean bag chair.

Hook

Quote from: Blooby on July 25, 2016, 01:46:09 PMIf I got one, I would also have to spring for a shag carpet and a bean bag chair.
Don't sound too bad.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

cuthbert

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on July 25, 2016, 01:27:31 PMWow, that Organelle looks pretty darn cool. Ouch on the price tag, though :(  

My thoughts exactly. It's certainly a cool gadget but judging by the look of it, I was expecting it to be under $100. But when I went to the website and saw that it was $495, I thought it's never going to be very popular at that price. It's a shame, really. If they could sell it for under $100, it would probably be a very popular little gadget.

It got me thinking that there's a market for some cheap, musical gadgets that we could buy on impulse and add to our collections without breaking the bank. We all need our musical toys, but because they're so expensive, they usually require lots of research, saving, and permission from the better half before we make a purchase. Imagine, though, if you walked into the music store and saw some new electronic gadget for $30. You've probably got that much cash in your wallet, so you don't need permission. And you don't need to do any research. It makes a noise and costs 30 bucks! What more do you need to know at that point? You'll find out more about what it can and can't do when you get it home. I think if manufacturer's would make gadgets that cheap, they'd sell a lot of them. It might not make them rich but it would help to keep their business afloat so they could afford to develop more profitable products. And I believe they could easily make products that cheap if they wanted to. There are plenty of inexpensive chips and components available. Just think about the greeting cards that play a tune when you open them. If they can do that with a $3 greeting card, imagine what they could do for $30. These gadgets should come with MIDI so we can hook them to keyboards and computers. But that's no problem because I read somewhere that it costs manufacturers about a dollar to add MIDI to a product!

The closest thing I've seen to this idea is the Pocket Operator series from Teenage Engineering. Pretty cool gadgets, but at $59 each, they're just a bit more expensive than I'd like. Still, if I had any money, I'd be very tempted to buy one.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c510--Teenage_Engineering--Synths_Modules

https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po

They even have a merchandising hook attached so they can be hung by the cash register to encourage impulse buying.

https://youtu.be/52D46jk4t54?list=PLSM1HuwZomMjOum9oBNmpQV34A1tVfY9Z

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website