just ordered a new drum machine

Started by Oldrottenhead, March 03, 2008, 01:26:13 PM

hewhoiscalledj

does the Alesis have RCA stereo outs? or if it's anything like the DR3, there are (2) 1/4" outs, left and right, but the left jack also doubles as a headphone input which would automatically make it a stereo jack on it's own. (i think)

havent recorded anything onto the BR yet so we'll see. but i'll tell ya, it's amazing how good the sound is out of these little digital wonder boxes, eh?

waynesan76

I simply use the "headphone" input. Only one cable and one adapter is needed. It takes a 1/4" stereo adapter to a stereo mini plug to the BR line in. It records in stereo wonderfully, allowing you to pan to your liking.

The panning seems a bit backward to me, so I set the pan of each drum individually to imitate the sound location of a standard drum kit, I.E.- Bass drum-center, Snare-slight right, hihat-mid right, ride cymbal-slight left, etc. I'll post a sound clip on Sunday if I can find time.

Hope it helps!

Oldrottenhead

cheers for that , is due for delivery today and i go to work soon and am away for a day, bugger. patience is a virtue they say, a virtue i dont have lol.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: waynesan76 on March 05, 2008, 02:12:52 AMThe panning seems a bit backward to me, so I set the pan of each drum individually to imitate the sound location of a standard drum kit, I.E.- Bass drum-center, Snare-slight right, hihat-mid right, ride cymbal-slight left, etc.

I think it's a matter of perspective, and whether you're right-handed or left-handed. Drums are usually panned from the perspective of a right-handed drummer seated at the kit. So, the hi-hat would be to his left. Are you left-handed, or are you looking at the kit from the perspective of an audience member rather than the drummer (ie; from in front of the kit rather than from behind it)? I prefer drums that are panned from the perspective of a right-handed drummer because when I listen to the song I can sort of imagine myself seated at the drum kit playing along.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

waynesan76

I guess the left/right panning is mostly a matter of preference. I prefer to listen to a finished song as a member of the audience, so that's the way I set it up. It creates the feel of seeing a live band in my opinion. I can definitely see more inspiration and creativity from your preferred perspective, but I tend to keep things simple, and I don't have any experience actually playing drums :(

Quote from: oldrottenhead on March 05, 2008, 03:06:40 AMcheers for that , is due for delivery today and i go to work soon and am away for a day, bugger. patience is a virtue they say, a virtue i dont have lol.

Yep, I hate having new toys and having to wait to play with them. It's like waking up too early on Christmas day, hahaha. The anticipation will add to your satisfaction though, so have fun!

hooper

I've got an SR-16 and love it.  I use it with my Sonar setup on the PC and slave it to Sonar via MIDI.... so the SR-16 automaticly starts in lock-sync when I press Play in Sonar.

So, I'm trying to immagine how one would go about using the SR-16 with a Micro BR?? No way to get them in sync beyond trying to hit Play at the same time on the two machines.... (is there?)   ???

recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE

Oldrottenhead

just got it out of the box, plugged in via headphones to line in sounds sweet.
QuoteI've got an SR-16 and love it.  I use it with my Sonar setup on the PC and slave it to Sonar via MIDI.... so the SR-16 automaticly starts in lock-sync when I press Play in Sonar.
i use cubase so i'll need to search through my old midi leads to see if i can hook up to pc and then work out how to configure it. i was planning to use sr16 to record drums to  stereo tracks and then and stuff  on free tracks and see what happens.
the song i posted with drums removed, i plan to record drums onto br but will most likely be slightly out of sync, but then i will save a mix of the drumtrax on its own and import it into cubase then try and line it up with song. will have to wait till kids get to bed tho.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

hooper

Okay, cool.  With Sonar it was just a matter of hooking up a MIDI cable and checking a box in the Sonar MIDI Options that said 'Send MIDI TimeCode'  and as I recall, also had to scroll through the setup screens on the SR-16 and enable it to 'Receive MIDI'.   So, I expect your Cubase setup will be very similar.

FWIW... The way I would go about what you are trying to do with your song, the BR, the SR-16 and Cubase (I at least know this works...)
*  Open a new file in Cubase and set the BPM to the same BPM as your song on the BR .
*  Export your BR tracks as wav files and save to a folder on your PC via USB.
*  Import each of the wav tracks into Cubase and save.
*  Assuming you've got the SR-16 properly slaved to Cubase now... hit Play and listen to the SR-16 play in perfect lock-sync with your BR tracks.
*  Hook up stereo audio out from the SR-16 into however you normally record audio input into Cubase.
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Boss Micro BR
'If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?' - TSE