Shark Sandwich

Started by SharksDontSleep, April 25, 2009, 10:08:40 AM

SdC

QuoteAs I understood it, being digital meant I didn't lose quality when bouncing/copying
Correct in that you don't get noise or degradation, so no technical issue, more a balance issue. After bouncing, you add other instruments and these influence the total "color" of the sound. In other words, it's more difficult to really make new tracks blend into the bounced track than into a "fresh" mix in which you can still "make room" in the sound-spectrum for the new tracks. I hope this makes sense. Off course the exception as you mention is when bouncing for specific effects, but generally the goal is to bounce as little as possible.
QuoteMy problem doing it this way is always the 5/6, 7/8 dilemma.
As they're stereo tracks, I find it hard to control the pre mastering panning of anything recorded (rather than bounced) onto them.
Help me out here too, anyone.
If the recorded source was mono, the pairs work just like the mono tracks (but using twice the disk space). If you use a stereo source (or add insert FX such as a chorus or panning delay) you can still pan it down to a single side. Obviously when recording different instruments on 5 and 6, or 7 and 8 you'd have a problem.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Satchwood

Had to listen again - cool Mix - creative composition - and some neat sound engineering techniques! 

It reminds of something Joe Satriani would do!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

SharksDontSleep

Quote from: Satchwood on May 01, 2009, 11:32:10 AMHad to listen again

It reminds of something Joe Satriani would do!
What can I say.
Firstly to be listened to more than once is humbling.
Secondly to compared to such greatness is double humbling.

Geir

Can't believe I almost missed this one

Really great stuff!! A brilliant arrangement and production!!

Well done, well done indeed!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

SdC

Quote from: Geir on May 08, 2009, 06:17:00 AMCan't believe I almost missed this one
Yeah I know; there's so much great stuff being posted it can almost be a fulltime occupation to keep up! An amazing group of talent on this forum.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Trotters

WOW...one of the best produced/sounding pieces on this site...I envy your skills:D

Frank53

I'm new here, so I guess I have an excuse for being so late to this.LOL! Terrific work! Great performance, and your production is very professional. Well balanced, tasteful use of effects, everything sits very well in the mix.

What mastering patch did you use, and did you modify it at all?

Frank
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

guitarron

missed this one-it rocks

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

SharksDontSleep

Quote from: Frank53 on June 07, 2009, 12:32:00 PMI'm new here, so I guess I have an excuse for being so late to this.
What mastering patch did you use, and did you modify it at all?
Frank
  • Welcome to the forum, I'm pretty new myself & everyone's been very welcoming & helpful. This is a great forum.
  • The mastering patch I used was Mixdown, without any alteration. I've played around with the guitar effects, but am a little lost in the mastering effects at present.

Frank, Trott, SdC & Geir - Thanks for the comments, they're really appreciated.

Bob Iles

Real nice.  Very tight production.  Sounds great.
You've only got 12 notes and however you mix them up is your thing. - Edward Van Halen