Shark Sandwich

Started by SharksDontSleep, April 25, 2009, 10:08:40 AM

SharksDontSleep

09 Shark Sandwich
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Hi all.
I recorded/mixed this recently on my BR-600. A PC was only used for creating the MP3.
I recorded the backing track & a friend (Pete) added lead guitar using a Line 6 Spider into his Micro BR, and exported as WAV files. I imported these into the BR-600 for final mixing.

Instruments used:
Washburn HB35 - Rhythm (BR-600 patch)
Schecter PT Diamond - Rhythm (BR-600 patch)
Vintage AV3 - Lead (Line 6 Spider & Boss Micro-BR)
Westone Concorde I - Bass (BR-600 patch)
Boss BR-600 - Drums

Recorded as follows:
1. Backing track recorded on 1, 2, 3, 4
2. 1, 2, 3, 4 & drums bounced to 5/6
3. Imported lead guitar to new virtual tracks on 1,2,3
4. 1, 2, 3, 5/6 bounced to 7/8
5. 7/8 mastered to new 7/8 virtual track
6. Exported 7/8 to WAV file to PC  & converted to MP3

Let me know your thoughts

Pedro

What a rocker! Love the main riff.

Blooby

Two word review: "Shit Sandwich."

-----------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I take it your song title was a tip of the hat to This is Spinal Tap.  If not, I apologize profusely for my movie quote.

Nice tune.  There's a lot going on, but everything has its space in the field.  I especially liked the bass in spots (were you chording or doing an occasional double-stop?).  I do think some of your soloing could lose some of its reverb, but I know that's just personal preference.

Nicely done and well played.

Blooby

SharksDontSleep

Quote from: admin on April 25, 2009, 10:44:20 AMWhat a rocker! Love the main riff.
Thanks, glad you liked it 8)
Quote from: Blooby on April 25, 2009, 11:08:33 AMTwo word review: "Shit Sandwich."
Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I take it your song title was a tip of the hat to This is Spinal Tap.  If not, I apologize profusely for my movie quote.
Yes ... And I recorded it in dobly ... And my guitar amp goes up to 11 ... And our 1st drummer died in a bizarre gardening accident
Yes the title was a homage to that great rock 'n' roll film. No need to apologize, you're spot on. ;D
Quote from: Blooby on April 25, 2009, 11:08:33 AMI especially liked the bass in spots (were you chording or doing an occasional double-stop?)
I was chording. I often fall into this style, and I often tend to sound like a poor mans Peter Hook!! ::)

Thanks for the comments. I'm new to the forum, but am enjoying the experience :)

Bro

I agree with the admin, great main riff.

Love the stereo effect, this is is greatest with a headset on :)

Love it! Great job!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

The Reverend 48

Great Post I am in total awe of the production (now where's that manual)

Satchwood

I like it!  Lot's of cool guitar sounds and riffs going on!  Great job!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

SharksDontSleep

Quote from: 0jimihendrix0 on April 25, 2009, 02:55:51 PMLove the stereo effect, this is is greatest with a headset on
Quote from: 48 on April 27, 2009, 04:57:21 AMGreat Post I am in total awe of the production (now where's that manual)
Thanks. I had to plan out how the pan-pinging guitars (that's what I'm calling it anyway) was going to work. Basically recorded 1 guitar part & then copied it onto 2 other tracks, then deleted every other guitar phrase, even no.s on the 1st track & odd no.s on the 2nd. Then panned track 1 left, track 2 right. The result makes it sound like the guitar is pinging from left to right. With the answering lead line, I did the same, but made sure it started on the opposite side to the other guitar.
Quote from: Satchwood on April 28, 2009, 01:51:09 PMI like it!  Lot's of cool guitar sounds and riffs going on!  Great job!
Cheers. It all started with a bass riff I was playing about with. Next came the rhythm chug guitar. Then the machine gun guitar. Then Pete got inspired with the lead guitar. Then sorted the drum patterns into a song. Finally after a few hours of blood sweat & tears, with bouncing/mixing/mastering etc ... Hey Presto. Not exactly fast food, more like gourmet fish & chips!! ;)

SdC

Ripping it up nicely! Caffeine mayhem!
From your explanation of the tracks, it seems to me you're bouncing more than necessery; more work, less quality. You can record 1-8v1 individually and then bounce to 78v2, add 1-6v2 and alreay that's 14 tracks available! bounce to 78v3 and add another 1-6v3 (20 total) etc...

recorder
Boss BR-600

SharksDontSleep

Quote from: SdC on April 30, 2009, 09:05:55 AMRipping it up nicely! Caffeine mayhem!
Cheers
Quote from: SdC on April 30, 2009, 09:05:55 AMFrom your explanation of the tracks, it seems to me you're bouncing more than necessery; more work, less quality.
Sorry don't quite understand this. As I understood it, being digital meant I didn't lose quality when bouncing/copying. Also for the backing track, I had the advantage of using different loop effects to those I used on the lead tracks.
Please, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm really am keen to get this right.
Quote from: SdC on April 30, 2009, 09:05:55 AMYou can record 1-8v1 individually and then bounce to 78v2, add 1-6v2 and alreay that's 14 tracks available! bounce to 78v3 and add another 1-6v3 (20 total) etc...
My problem doing it this way is always the 5/6, 7/8 dilemma.
As they're stereo tracks, I find it hard to control the pre mastering panning of anything recorded (rather than bounced) onto them.
Help me out here too, anyone.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I really am desperate to learn. :)