Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino cover for r'n'r fest

Started by ODH, June 03, 2016, 09:09:15 AM

ODH

Blueberry Hill
Time:
0:00
Volume:
FiftiesFest (banner image missing)

After taking on Elvis (ffs) last time out, and not coming off too well, this time I'm right back in my vocal range.

Fats Domino.

This song is actually the next song on my Rock'n'Roll Party triple CD to Heartbreak Hotel, by coincidence.

Thanks to the choir of drunken piss-heads for joining in at the end.

Blueberry Hill
Fats Domino Cover
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

cuthbert

Great cover, Nick - nice clean vocal, and the piano in particular sounds spot-on authentic. Lots of great rock & roll music came out of New Orleans in the Fifties.

Well done!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Great job. You really nailed the piano. It sounds fab. I think details like that really make a great cover.

I was just reading about Blueberry Hill on Wikipedia and it's interesting that, although the most famous version is Fats Domino's 1956 release, this song is actually from 1940 and was recorded six time in that year. Here's the first recording which was by The Sammy Kaye Orchestra with vocals by Tommy Ryan. It was released May 31, 1940 (76 years ago!)

Time:
0:00
Volume:

My personal favourite is this 1967 cover by The Dave Clark Five from their album "Everybody Knows". The vocals are awesome and the horns really make it a great arrangement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wCFnNDVrgQ

And check out this YouTube playlist. It has 52 different versions of Blueberry Hill by many artists including Elvis Presley, Duane Eddy, Elton John, The Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, The Everly Brothers, Little Richard, Gene Autry (1941), and The Glenn Miller Orchestra with vocals by Ray Eberle (reached #1 in 1940). There's a really cool video from around 1957 by Nat King Cole and 10-year-old Billy Preston (who would later become famous for playing with The Beatles and as a solo artist). Another notable version is the one by Bruce Cockburn and Margo Timmins (lead singer of Cowboy Junkies). They really make it their own and I quite like it.

https://youtu.be/kxSHBIXfFPE?list=PLW61vY73IIrqa3z0gBiVRWJZattYX_ti1

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Great cover, perfect tune for you. That piano is pretty feckin cool, you are so good at that piano roll stuff. It strange how we approach use garage band so differently. Love this song and you've done well.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

recorder
Boss BR-1600

heg577

You pay great attention to detail, here; the music is very similar to the original to my ear.
And, it was especially nice to hear your fellow inmates joining in... ;D
There is a beautiful symphony playing within us all..

Pete C

Wouldn't have recognised it was you from just listening to the vocal. Good cover with some very 50's sounds going on there!.

Pete
recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Johnny Robbo

A brilliantly executed cover of a rock n roll classic. Excellent vocal... excellent piano... excellent horn section. Basically it's just excellent!
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Adobe Audition

"The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes." Sir Thomas Beecham

http://www.jrguitar.co.uk http://johnrobsonmusic.co.uk

tonyc

fantastic cover nice and clear recording ..... spot on ........tonyc
recorder
Zoom HD16

Blooby

Another great tune and really well orchestrated. My one niggle is that it seems (to me) the vocal is a tad dry for this backing. Please don't take this as a criticism as I think it's great, but that's what I'm hearing. Did you do that piano on the Thumbjam again? Damn impressive.

Blooby