'Inner Philistine' - original by Ted - Slowed down & dumbed down

Started by Ted, May 22, 2016, 09:38:49 AM

Ted

Thanks everyone.

One thing about arranging for The Nutrients is that I try to work with the specific strengths and limitations of five guys (including myself), plus the limitations of time and logistics. I am doing this from Madagascar, with the hopes that we might play this together in October. The rest of the band is in Arizona.

So I've made the arrangement really, really simple.

For every part, I imagined myself trying to teach the parts to these respective guys, remembering our past history of learning songs -- what was easy to teach, what was hard to teach. That's how I settled on sparse piano, (mostly) low register and half-spoken vocals, and dynamics that rely on drums and grungy guitar.

I'm going to run it by the band and see what they say. Wish me luck.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

Ted

Alzheimers bump

I got together with The Nutrients the other day, just for fun. None of us had practiced. We were rusty as hell. When it came time to try this song, I couldn't remember it at all — I couldn't even remember how it went. Our drummer had it on his iPod. It loaded into my senile memory like as though it were stored on a 3 1/2" floppy disk.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

StephenM

nothin like some good nutritional organic rock and roll... this song rocks a ton...the lyrics are so good...
as a child of Israel (not literally) I found the allusion to being a Phillistine interesting.  Fun song... cool looking dudes in the old band...

OTD bump

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ted

Quote from: StephenM on May 22, 2022, 11:25:14 AMOTD bump

Thanks! We started recording this in good home studio 2020 before the pandemic hit. Since then the recording project has been stuck in the ditch, and I'm back in Madagascar. We still intend to finish the new recording, but getting these guys up to speed with a minimal amount of home recording capability is part of the problem.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

SE

This an excellent track which I enjoyed lots.
Was kinda a inspiration too a track I recorded recently, which turned out sounding nothing like yours, cool stuff.
recorder
Boss BR-80

thetworegs

Missed this first time round great bump ..loving that bass and fab vocal gets an oooh yeah! From me

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Ted

Quote from: SE on May 26, 2022, 04:21:25 PMWas kinda a inspiration too a track I recorded recently, which turned out sounding nothing like yours, cool stuff.

Oh come on! You have to tell me which one.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

DarrenG / The Devil's Toupee

This is a great song, never heard the original. I like the pace of this one though. That bass line and piano melody is very catchy. Love your vocals and lyrics. And the grungy guitar works a treat, a bit punkish in places.
Darren
I have 2 profiles on this site, (NOW COMBINED INTO ONE PROFILE PAGE)
 One is a musical partnership with Keith Allen, ( we record songs as "The Devil's Toupee").
The 2nd one is for my other musical projects and collaborations. (DarrenG)
Thanks for listening.

cuthbert

Somehow I missed this one originally, so thanks for the bump!

Interesting contrast between the piano and the punky rhythm & overdriven leads. You definitely pulled it off well.

Cool listen!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Kenneth

I listened to both versions. There's something very satisfying about it, given the situations that we found ourselves in. Good tune, time it should be bumped.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman