Does anyone here really work?

Started by wiley, April 22, 2009, 05:32:19 PM

Glenn Mitchell

It's really pretty interesting to see the diversity yet all loving the music making.
I'm a residential designer. Custom homes. I used to build them as well. It's been good to me.
Trouble is if I'm being creative all day I find it hard to write music. I need a few days off and then it starts to flow. By Monday I really want to take the day off and play all day.
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Cakewalk Sonar platinum

https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks

Redler

Interesting thread!!

I'm a power plant operator and I work in shifts. Our shift system is just excellent; my shift takes 12 hrs. Two day shifts from 6am to 6pm, then two night shifts from 6 pm to 6 am and then six days off. In the nights I have sometimes...eh, often... time to spend on this site :)

Sport and music are my activities. I have spent much time with music since I bought Micro BR and joined in this site two years, ago!

Kari

recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

alfstone

I'm a doctor. A family doctor (USA term), or a G.P. (U.K). It's my job since 1994 and I think it will be till my retiring age. Actually I'm 55, so (hopefully  :D) 15 more years. Before, I worked in hospitals and at Emergency Units since my degree days (1980).

My relation with music has always been very rich of various and different aspects...I play guitar since I was a boy, of course at amateur level. Apart from that, I've always been interested in home recording, but I've played often in a discontinuous way. I mean, I've been even years not touching a guitar, but actually I've begun again since 2006, and I hope to keep on.

Apart from that, for years I've been writing about music, specializing in Irish, Scottish..."Celtic"  ;) music (strange, for a Sicilian, isn't it?)  ;D
I was the Music editor for the monthly Italian KELTIKA magazine, but I wrote also for "New Age Music and New Sounds", "Acid Jazz", "Il Giornale di Sicilia", and I wrote some articles for the "Irish Music Magazine", Ireland.

Anyway, this is the past. My appeal for writing about music seems gone, actually.

I play mostly at late night. With my earphones, when all at home are sleeping. TV is not for me, moreover the Italian TV of these last years... >:(

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Kevin Mammoth

I have a sensible job, mortgage, young kids....   recording in the wee hours of the morning on weekends is the way I stay sane!
recorder
Boss BR-1600

There are only 12 notes, how hard can it be?....

IanR

When Wiley started this thread, it was because she could not believe that anyone could have a job and a life and clock up the hundreds and  thousands of posts that some of the members of this forum have.  Therefore, they must not have something she had and that was probably a full time job.

I have often shared this thought.  This post is number 100 for me.  In the time it has taken me to get to 100, others have clocked up thousands. 

I spend my time working 5 days a week in a busy job.  I am the manager of corporate planning and reporting in the Victorian Department of Sustainability and the Environment.  So, yes, I am a bureaucrat.  I also have a young family.  We have just adopted a second dog.  I am also a gardener and I love football (Aussie Rules). 

I fit music into the times in between.  With my son, I have been having guitar lessons with a really great young teacher for the past 5-6 years. So some of the time I have to spend practicing the song we are learning (We learn guitar by learning songs. We focus on transcribing the song and learning how to play it.  This trains our ear and our hands and we also learn theory through this as well and it stays interesting).  We practice together a couple of times a week for about an hour.

Songwriting is squeezed into 1 or 2 hours across 1 or 2 nights a week.  I spend this time recording ideas onto the MBR. Sometimes I have an idea that I'm developing. Other times I just wing it and see what happens.  Sometimes I channel Malcolm and sometimes I channel a slow motion Angus.

I also always have a guitar accessible in the house, so I'll grab it an play softly while watching TV.  At these times, I have to careful not to play and replay the same parts too often or else my wife "requests" that the instrument goes to bed.

So while I admire the dedication of those of you who keep the flow of information high on this site, I am compelled to spread my time working, playing and being with the family and contributing here.

I enjoy this place and I hope we continue to maintain the current membership and continue to attract interesting newcomers.  I love the diversity of the boards and I usually spend my lunch hour catching up.  My favourite contributer is 64 Guitars. His interests and tastes seem to be closest to mine.  That being said, I love the unpredictable things that the other creative people generate here.

regards,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

T.C. Elliott

I tried to have a job once, but it took up too much of my time.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

upsetminded

I am work in Forensic Psychology between the provincial psych hospitals, jails and courts.  I also teach and am a part-time student at the same time.....
This is the reason why I am only a Jr. Member here and have posted none of my own music.  I will finally be over the teaching/student bullcrap by mid August and plan to focus heavier on music.
I then hope to graduate from Jr. Member.

I'd rather be cool than be loved. - Courtney Taylor

henwrench

Work is a four-letter word.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

lg

Work IS the worst possible four-letter word that comes to mind!

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!