Does anyone here really work?

Started by wiley, April 22, 2009, 05:32:19 PM

Bluesberry

Similar story for me.  I am a Mechanical Process Engineer in a Power plant.  I try to play/create/record my music at night after work and I find I get about 1 hour a night or so, usually more on weekends.  It is tricky to find focus to keep working on something when I only get short blasts of worktime.  Also spending time to practice guitar, working on singing.  Music is a hobby that I wish was a full time occupation for sure.  It is amazing to me to see how much music has become a central part of my life and thoughts in the last 2 years since starting playing Guitar, buying the MBR, finding this site...greatest hobby I have ever found for sure.  I usually find a few moments through my day at work to come on here and listen and comment on music posted.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

visiblemember

Oh yeah, I work. I'm a school teacher with a family. I had to quit this site last year. Now I'm back though I really don't have the time. School is closed for nine weeks starting July 3rd. That'll give my wife nine weeks to train me further into her box. Oh, this is pissing me off just writing about it. Sh*t she's home. gotta go
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

StevieM

In one way I'm quite lucky, just work at home in my workshop, but do a damn sight more hours for a LOT less pay than I ever did working for other people!!.
Quite often I REALLY don't know what day it is, I just do stuff when it needs doing. I didn't even realise it was my birthday untill the day before ( 16th April, by the way. The same as Spike Milligan, that probably explains a lot ;D).
Then when I've done in the WS, it tends to be on the PC ( or other stuff), usually get finished around 10/11 pm ish.
So really I should have time for music ( always have it on when I'm working), but 'stuff'  just seems to get in the way, plus I have to play when it can't be heard, which isn't always easy, as my wife's not musically inclined. She said if Eric Clapton was round here just fiddling about she'd tell him him to shut up. As If!!!!!
Wouldn't have it any other way though. I'm too old and bloo*y cantankerous to work for anyone else now, they wouldn't give me a job anyway. I'd land up killing someone!.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

Wiley

Oh my gosh!! We don't want any violence.    MY hubby never gets mad at my addiction.  It's just easier to sing and work etc. when hes not around.  Maybe I am still bashful I don't know.  But I am going to follow Bluesberry's  idea.  Work on 1 song at a time.     Maybe I will get somewhere. Stevie M I find it hard to believe your wife doesn't support you!!  My other half just thinks I am nuts sometimes. But he never puts me down.  He just tells me like he sees it  good or bad.  I don't think we have ever argued about music.  Other than his trumpet episode.  LOL  By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!  I've missed you and glad you are back.
P.J.

lg

I am a 2nd shift supervisor at a plastic bag making company near Chicago.
I play a little guitar each day to keep in shape, then me and the boys get
together every other weekend to practice.

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

marcus_gloom

Work always gets in the way.

But come to think of it, it paid for all my gears.

I work in an office.

Flash Harry

Marcus,

Why do I always think of Titus Groan when I see a post from you? I really can't fathom it out.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Davo

I usually work 24 hour shifts, which is nice because I bring a guitar and sometimes the br and my laptop.  The fire crew I work with have proclaimed me the soundtrack of station 20. 
Whats really cool is hearing people hum my songs at random times-when Im not playing :)
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

marcus_gloom

Quote from: Flash Harry on April 25, 2009, 02:41:42 PMMarcus,

Why do I always think of Titus Groan when I see a post from you? I really can't fathom it out.

maybe the because it rhymes, marcus-titus/gloom-groan,

Greeny

Quote from: Flash Harry on April 25, 2009, 02:41:42 PMMarcus,

I never thought I'd see a Mervyn Peake reference on here!