The BR as a teaching tool

Started by visiblemember, April 22, 2009, 11:22:58 AM

visiblemember

Nessie Friendship Song OSG 4a_
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's the rest of the story. I'm an English teacher in Vienna, Austria at 11 different elementary schools. I play some games, teach some simple English, teach some songs, Bingo, old mcdonald, etc...BORING!!! Once in a while I'd rifle out a minute or so of some Tom Petty and such. The kids would go nuts! One of my work mates wrote a chant and we did that for a few months. it was cool. Then i finally finished it off and came up with "The Nessie Friendship Song"
Monday I give the lyric sheet to the kids and play the song on my guitar. Tuesday I bring in a CD with my full rock version and a kareoke version. The kids can listen, sing along. Wednesday I come in with the Micro BR and a guitar. I play the song through the headphones and play along with the guitar and mouth the words so the kids can keep pace and tempo. The fourth track on the BR is free. I record the kids singing, take it home, mix the kids with the master, burn a CD and bring it back on Thursday. Viola! They are rock stars!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Kody

Ahhh, this is great!! I'm going to be a music teacher and I have already been dreaming about doing this!!  Very cool......especially for an English teacher lol!!
What grade level are these kids? You've gotta love what this little box can do!!  Cool post!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Satchwood

How cool!!  There's just something about hearing kids singing that's very heart warming!  Nice guitar work and the kids singing sounds terrific!  How very special it must be to part of their lives and while doing something you love with your music.
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Ferryman

Just great!! Fantastic idea, hope the kids liked it. And the song is quite fun as well - I like the chord changes on it.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

launched

With the karaoke version - you put up a screen with the translated version, too? Or just English? I think this would be a great way to teach adults, too - maybe without nessie, tho'  ;D

Later,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Pedro

This sounds great! And the kids are very tuned. :)

Wiley

admin. is right!! These kids are really singing in key. You have many talented children in your class.  I bet they had a blast.

Geir

Hey this is great !!! A great idea that worked out brilliantly!!!

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

OsCKilO

You are Jack Black.......!

This is a real life "School of Rock"........!

Cool!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

The Reverend 48

Quote from: osckilo on April 22, 2009, 07:09:53 PMYou are Jack Black.......!
This is a real life "School of Rock"........!
Cool!
;D ;D ;D
Seriously the kids make this just magical! 8)
I think they'd benifit from an English lesson based on the "Wall"  :D