Quick question about song playback

Started by Blooby, April 08, 2016, 07:11:15 AM

cuthbert

Safari (desktop and mobile) and Chrome both are built on WebKit, so I guess I'm not very surprised to find that Chrome behaves similarly to Safari when it comes to HTML 5 native audio playback. Seems like Firefox is the way to go for now, then.

Btw, the old audio player is actually a Flash audio player requiring the Adobe Flash Player plugin. It's reliable when it comes to playing back music here, but there are downsides to the Flash player (no mobile/tablet plugins, and constant security updates due to security vulnerabilities).

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on April 10, 2016, 01:55:43 PMSafari (desktop and mobile) and Chrome both are built on WebKit, so I guess I'm not very surprised to find that Chrome behaves similarly to Safari when it comes to HTML 5 native audio playback. Seems like Firefox is the way to go for now, then.

I think you've found the root of the problem. It's WebKit. I just tried playing a couple of songs in Midori and Epiphany, which are both WebKit-based browsers, using our HTML5 player. They both consistently stopped part-way through the song.

I've searched the web for clues but couldn't find anything useful. So, for now, the best advice is to not use WebKit-based browsers at Songcrafters. The main WebKit-based browsers are Chrome and Safari, so those are the ones to avoid. There are several others (Midori, Epiphany, Konqueror, etc.) but I doubt if anyone here is using them.

Maybe the WebKit engine will eventually get fixed. Until then, I'd recommend Firefox. The Microsoft browsers (Edge and IE) might be okay. Opera uses the Blink web browser engine which, according to Wikipedia, "is a fork of the WebCore component of WebKit", so Opera might have this WebKit bug too.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Groundy

I changed to Firefox because of Malware problems but only on Songcrafters, it would not open properly and when I tried to open anything adverts would appear , it turned out to be Malware in Chrome , nothing to do with my computer, up to now Fierfox has been brilliant....

Alex

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs