AC Adaptor Question - powering multiple gadgets

Started by Migs, April 18, 2009, 09:32:43 PM

Migs

I actually have a real Boss/Roland PSA Adapter - AC240V/DC9V 500mA.

I haven't done any physics since 1988 and although all those formulae and Fleming's left hand screw rules and stuff probably haven't changed, too many beers have ablated the part of my brain that used to house such useful information.

I also know there are LOADS of engineers here so there must be an electrical one.  Failing that, someone may simply have done it.

Can you piggyback the power from the one adapter to more than one gadget, ie in my case, can it run the MBR and my ME50 ?  I know it has an internal cutoff which throws if there is more than a 500mA drain so assume that will stop me blowing anything up.

Any help would be great.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

64Guitars

If the power adapter's output is regulated 9 volts DC, then you can simultaneously power the Micro BR with any number of 9v DC devices whose total current draw is less than the power adapter's maximum current rating. The Micro BR draws 140mA and the ME-50 draws 120mA, so the total current draw is 260mA. The PSA-240 has a maximum current rating of 200mA, which is too low to power both the Micro BR and the ME-50. However, you said that your adapter is rated at 500mA. If that's true, then it has more than enough power to run the Micro BR and the ME-50. It's possible that the newer PSA-240s have a higher current rating than the older ones.

You'll need a suitable daisy-chain cable such as one of these:

Click for more info

Click for more info

These don't allow for much distance between the Micro BR and the ME-50, so you might want to make your own daisy-chain cable instead or look for a suitable extension cable.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Migs

This is good news 64, thanks for your help.
My PSA-240S (which is only a few weeks old) definitely says Out: DC 9 v 500 mA.
This is good news.  I knew you could daisy chain stomp boxes just not sure about other gear.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !