DAW question for those who use the piano roll

Started by Blooby, January 24, 2016, 08:44:19 AM

Blooby

I'm curious if anybody uses the piano roll beyond simple editing. More specifically, I'm wondering if anybody uses any tricks or short-cuts for entering note data...even if used to draw in random notes.

I don't really know where I'm going with this line of questioning. I just know I haven't scratched the surface of the capabilities of my DAW, and this topic just sort of popped up.

Blooby

chapperz66

I have used it recently mainly with Impact for the drums, painting in snares and cymbals etc.  I mainly I drive soft synths by connecting the midi out on my Yamaha XS7 keyboard to the interface.  Getting it to communicate was a bit of a bastard but I worked it out in the end.  My normal method of working is to record the midi data playing the keyboard and then use the piano roll view to correct where appropriate and absolutely necessary.  Sure it is quicker to use quantize to correct the timing but I think you lose a lot of feel if you quantize everything. 

I used the Arpeggiator and note FX on the MaiTai bits of Panjandrum.  Its a powerful tool and really useful to give you inspiration.

Paul   

bruno

Quote from: chapperz66 on January 24, 2016, 10:07:17 AMMy normal method of working is to record the midi data playing the keyboard and then use the piano roll view to correct where appropriate and absolutely necessary.  Sure it is quicker to use quantize to correct the timing but I think you lose a lot of feel if you quantize everything.   

Have done the same in the past - although simply playing it is by far the quickest method, and being lazy, I live with the errors :-)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Hi, have only used the piano roll in Garage band for correcting not for inputting as such, that is another avenue I must explore.  Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

Mike_S

Ahh... this is actually one of my secret weapons. I use the piano roll feature in Logic (I guess its pretty much the same in most programs), to beef up, give a bit more wellie to my stuff, one of my tricks to try and bring them above the mediocre sum of their parts.

I use it similar to the way Paul does and i agree it is time consuming but i have been doing it like this for years and i believe its worth the effort. Essentially, done this way the drums are unique and depending on how much effort / time you want to put in they will sound tailored to that particular song - so you can phrase with the guitar where you want only in certain points for example to highlight the chorus or the intro or whatever. I dont think you can do this with drum loops (YET!) to my knowledge. To be honest if technology ever gets that far, I for one wont be using it as it will truly rip the spirit out of it for me.

Anyway, I strongly advise exploring, especially as you are toying with the idea already.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Mike_S

Ahh sorry, to answer your query a bit more accurately... how i do it is (drums):

1. I first create 1 bar of a drum beat, so say for example a simple 4/4 beat, so I paint in 4 high hat hits (or 8 - whatever you want), then paint in 2 snare shots and 2 bass drum beats. So essentially you will have a simple beat to start with.
2. Then I would normally copy and paste this a few times (as opposed to looping as I will be able to edit the copied and pasted parts to my liking depending on where i want to add tension / phrasing, etc.
3. At this point i normally record a quick idea of the guitar part i have in mind.
4. Then i go back to the beginning of bar one of the drum piano roll thingy and start moving the beats around a bit until the beat fits the song better. Then on bar 2 i will normally make it similar to bar one but with normall one tiny difference (as a real drummer might do). These 2 bars become my template normally.
5.Deleting the filler bars i used to record my guitar part over i copy and paste these 2 bars roughly the length of the song.
6. Then i do my song on the guitar, then vocals (if i am feeling particularly self delusional!), guitar solos, etc.
7. After this i where you can take you song up a level or 2 in my opinion. So, going back to the beginning of the song and playing the song through, basically i stop each time i think there should be a cymbal, or slight change of beat for drama, or a fill (well worth it - keep them simple tho). Change up to the ride cymbal ocasionally in the chorus works well i think. After a bit of practice its well worth the time. I'd say about an hour would do it and improve a song dramatically.
8. Thats about it... oh and i do the same for bass guitar as i don't own one unfortunately. I don't spend too much time on the bass part to be honest - only to fill the sound a wee bit. In my opinion listeners will notice the drums more. Ooops... sorry bass players everywhere... feel free to knock me for 6 here!!!

Cheers
Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand