The History of Roland

Started by Tony, April 17, 2009, 06:25:48 AM

Tony

Apart from saying "I really think the Micro BR is the biscuit" over and over again, I am also hooked on saying "I think the Roland PMA-5 is the other biscuit" a lot too. The PMA-5 is like Nigel's Kaosillator but with a mini keyboard screen or a stylophone on steroids.  So I've become a recent convert to Roland as the source of my pleasure.  Yes, that's as pathetic as it sounds.  But for those in the same boat, there is a terrific history of the Roland Corporation from before it began (the earlier companies that Ikutaro Kakehashi began) through to 2004 in Sound on Sound from November 2004 to March 2005.

It begins here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov04/articles/roland.htm

and it is very comprehensive. It really puts the BR series in perspective.

After this forum, I think Sound on Sound has become my favourite reading.  It just gets sadder and sadder, doesn't it?

Oldrottenhead

guess where i am going to be wasting my afternoon, am only up to 1973 but completely hooked. thanks tony.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Kody

Yep, I'll be back for this one...Thanks Tony!!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Davo

To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Geir

Yeah, thank you very much Tony, now another evening or two will be spent hiding from the sun 8)

G.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony

When it comes to reading, playing music, listening to music, I've always thought that the sun was overrated.