looking for advice on setting up a new electro acoustic guitar

Started by Oldrottenhead, December 27, 2015, 04:04:48 AM

Farrell Jackson

Nice guitar ORH! My son happily played an A/E Jasmine for years. I agree with the others on the first step: get the shop where you purchased it to fix it or request another.

Here's some thoughts and questions: Is it the same plugged or unplugged? Sometimes certain strings don't fit the nut slot properly, too wide of slot, which keeps them from ringing out like the others. But if it's just noticeable plugged in you can rule the nut slot out. Other wise filling and re-slotting a nut or replacing the nut is the fix but those can be tricky.

Also the bottom of the string saddle can be un-even, not making proper contact across the entire length of the pickup. That requires removing the saddle and hand sanding or filing it flat. This isn't difficult at all but requires a light touch because you only want to remove as little as possible to get it flat. Here's a you tube video on filing the saddle.

These things are for your reference or the last resort....take it back to the shop and have them fix it or get them to replace it. It helps to have a little knowledge of what might be happening when discussing it with the vendors. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV4MaXKUZbs

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Oldrottenhead

acoustically the guitar sounds fabulous Farrell. it sounds pretty good plugged in too. when i played it plugged in today the difference was barely noticeable, but noticeable to my auld ears tho.

i'm sure when i take it back to the shop there will be no difference at all.

thanks guys.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

alfstone

Quote from: Hilary on December 27, 2015, 07:06:32 AMYou could take it to a guitar tech and get the action modified (I did that with my acoustic guitar)

I agree 100% with Hilary.

It shouldn't be an action problem. I had the same problem on my Seagull, and the luthier solved it. If I remember well, he told me it was a problem of the internal angle of the piezo  ???

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Hilary

No not likely to be the action, but they'll have a look at everything and change it if they think appropriate. It's really handy to know a good guitar tech (they changed my action and the socket that you plug the lead into as it was loose which was the original problem - that's as technical as I get . . .)
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Oldrottenhead

dropped the guitat off at the store's guitar tech dept today. tech guy reckons pick up is not properly placed. great thing is he stays nearby, so when sorted i can pick it up from him rather than trudging back into the city.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Groundy

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

If I had known i was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd of had another Beer last night...

https://www.reverbnation.com/redwoodlouis/songs

Oldrottenhead

just came back from walking the dog, to find guitar had been dropped off at home by guitar tech guy. wow! great service and picks up sound fab. now all i need is some spare time to play.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Farrell Jackson

Cool James! I'm glad it was just a set up issue. I look forward to hearing it.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?